Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Best thick pork chops

MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Best thick pork chops (rib chops) Simple brine, 1/2 c kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, 2-3 cups water...brine the chops a few hours (zip lock gallon bag is perfect). Pat dry, coffee rub ( my change of Little Chef) and cook 'em hot and fast. preferred internal here would be to pull at 130-135* tops...carryover during the rest will bring them to 140-145* +/-. Keep it simple! Just don't cook 'em to death!! This is from a post by Little Chef. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

Comments

• Beautiful looking Chops
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,195
    Great cook, Mickey, love them pork chops....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
  • what dome temp did you cook at?
    Brandon, MS
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    what dome temp did you cook at?

Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• Mickey said:
    what dome temp did you cook at?

That's what I did and they turned out great!! Thanks for the reply
    Brandon, MS
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,586
    edited January 2013
    Mickey Mickey Mickey. Another good one. Looks excellent. Been a while for chops for me. Might have to add them to the menu this week.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 774
    They sure are purty.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    edited January 2013
    Sorry, just building post count :@)

• Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,718
    Nice!
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,489
    Excellent

XLBGE X 2, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

• KoskoKosko Posts: 535
    Awesome! Never brined chops. I will def. do that this week! Thanks Mickey!
    Peachtree City, Ga Large BGE
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,155
    Man, I can't even remember the last time I had a pork chop. I'm drooling now.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Nice looking chops!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
  • Solson005Solson005 Posts: 1,910
    Looks good! I love chops on the egg and need to do them more often!  
    Large & Small BGE, CGW Two-Tier Swing Rack for BOTH EGGS, Spider for the Wok, eggCARTen & and Cedar Pergola my Eggs call home in Edmond, OK. 
  • Did some the other night, they look great!! Love some thick pork chops.
    Joe
  • Very nice.  Mickey, I just shreded the turbo butt.  You are a ROCK STAR!!!  It is out of the park good.  Thanks.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

• JscottJscott Posts: 174
    Great looking chops! they really take the coffee rub well!
    I did some last night in the pouring rain with Raising the Steaks Dizzy rub. good as well.
  • Ragtop99Ragtop99 Posts: 1,368
    Those look real good.  how much saltiness / sweetness do they get from the brine?
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
    Ragtop99 said:
    Those look real good.  how much saltiness / sweetness do they get from the brine?

I can't tell any, just juicy as hell

• They look fabulous. I am going to try the brine and the coffee rub.
  • Pa_BBQPa_BBQ Posts: 119
    I have some brining now, don't have coffee rub, but going to throw some PlowBoys Yardbird on them. 

Large BGE
    Meadow Creek TS120 Stick Burner
    Stoker, BBQ Guru. 

Erie, Pa. 
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,673
    I did not realize this was an old post. Saw Chubbs comment and got excited. Where's he is he? Cooking nurse, mdb?
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
  • GrillmagicGrillmagic Posts: 1,131

These look Great, brining pork chops and loins is the way to go.

Nice cook!

• jaydub58jaydub58 Posts: 1,780

Super looking chops, @Mickey!

Bookmarked for a very soon cook.

John in the Willamette Valley of Oregon
  • 500500 Posts: 1,795
    ALERT!  THREAD REVIVAL!
    When I brined bone-in  porterhouse pork chops last week, I found that the tenderloin side was too salty.  We actually preferred the strip side.  Is there a happy medium for brine time?  I went 3 hours.  Maybe 2 is enough.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
  • Surprised you didn't spatch them Mic. :D

Steve 

Caledon, ON

500 said:
    ALERT!  THREAD REVIVAL!
    When I brined bone-in  porterhouse pork chops last week, I found that the tenderloin side was too salty.  We actually preferred the strip side.  Is there a happy medium for brine time?  I went 3 hours.  Maybe 2 is enough.
    I
    I only went 2 hrs but bet an hour might be enough as lots do 30 to 60 mins.

Surprised you didn't spatch them Mic. :D

Kind of a spached pig