Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Nomex help

Decided to replace my gasket. Put on a nomex. Now my egg is way off center and there are huge gaps. I know this happens, but not sure how to fix. My dealer assembled my egg. What do I need to remove and re-tighten to get egg back in line? Bands? Take dome off?
Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013

Comments

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    edited January 2013
    Also, do you still need to preshrink nomex? I did not. Hopefully they fixed that.
  • flemster
    flemster Posts: 269
    Chubbs, I have done this twice already in my short time as an egger. I never took the dome off the band, but that meant laying work towels over the lower edge when spraying the 3m77 ( never use towels from the guest bathroom for this, the 77 is not on the wife's list of acceptable uses). After you want to do the "dollar bill test" to help you adjust the bands. I found some useful videos on YouTube Basically you slightly loosen the bolts holding the bands then I use a wooden dowel and hammer to TAP lightly on the lower or upper edge of the band to move it. The closer to the edge the more the band holds the lid off the joint. Sounds weird writing it but look at some of the videos online and it will be obvious. By the way I fried my gaskets through my own stupidity making pizza with the PS legs down and dome temp 900. I've learned my lesson but am no longer afraid of my gasket. .
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Keywords: Gator, Nashvegas, LBGE, Looftlighter, Thermapen in Racing Green (faster than the red one!), PSWOO2, Spider with CI, IQ120
  • Chubbs
    I have just been eggin gasketless for months, but teaching the wife to use the egg so putting one back on. I left the egg assembled when I put the gasket on. Now the domes don't meet. Going to adjust the bands in the AM. Sure I can figure it out. Just wondering if someone had a quick pointer. Thanks for responding. Looking at videos now.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Just loosen the hinge bands and move it in position, then tighten them evenly (little on one, little on the other).  Check that the band is evenly centered around the egg though this process.  It's really easy to do.
    yeah, it was really easy. got it about 98% in line. dollar bill test shows I am snug all the way around accept only a little drag front left. I did not preshrink the nomex so hopefully it will not shrink when I fire up the egg.... at least I am back.... didn't know what to do with myself without the egg last night..
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I didn't pre-shrink mine either.  Still working great after many high temp cooks.  It'll settle in the last 2%.  Sounds like you got it, good job.
    Just loosen the hinge bands and move it in position, then tighten them evenly (little on one, little on the other).  Check that the band is evenly centered around the egg though this process.  It's really easy to do.
    If you have some one around, like a friend who likes to drink, hang them like the dead weight they are over the dome to keep the spheres aligned and tighten as noted by Nola.... It is a very delicate job and it takes at least three or four hours, or 1/5th of good sipping liquor or a dozen craft/import beer. Remember SWMBO must never know "it was really easy".....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    If you have some one around, like a friend who likes to drink, hang them like the dead weight they are over the dome to keep the spheres aligned and tighten as noted by Nola.... It is a very delicate job and it takes at least three or four hours, or 1/5th of good sipping liquor or a dozen craft/import beer. Remember SWMBO must never know "it was really easy".....

Funny you say that. Told SWMBO it would take "a while" so I didn't have time to rake the yard. She came out after 30 minutes and the egg was done and so was a few beers. She just shook her head and walked back inside. Took forever!!
  • SmokinDAWG82
    SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,705
    http://www.fredsmusicandbbq.com/category_s/230.htm

This guy has some video on how you do it, very helpful
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
  • Chubbs
    @nola, the more I raise the lid today it is starting to get offline again. All the bolts are tight. Has to be something hinge related. Agree?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Chubbs said:
    @nola, the more I raise the lid today it is starting to get offline again. All the bolts are tight. Has to be something hinge related. Agree?
    The Nomex needs to compress slightly, it will continue to have an underbite until it "squishes" in, very technical stuff. 
    Do you have a slight underbite, ie dome is a little to the rear? 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Chubbs
    edited January 2013
    Yep. Exactly what she looks like.