Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

a tale of 2 boli

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times.  Ok not really the worst of times, we had left over pizza ingredients so the night before I whipped up a batch of the zippylip cold rise dough (awesome, best and easiest dough I have done).  Rolled it out and made 2 Stromboli.  I have had a love for them ever since eating at 4 kegs in vegas after a episode of triple d.  I stretched the dough fairly thin and it resulted in a crispy crust.  The top was done but not as brown as I was wanting in fact I left the first one on a bit too long trying to get it to brown.  Ended up throwing it under the broiler for about 1.5 min to brown the top, no biggie just watched it closely.  These took about 8 minutes to cook at 600* dome.  Setup was plate setter legs up, stainless grid, bge extended grid, green feet then stone.  this gets the stone really high into the dome.   fillings were in one sauce, canadian bacon, mushrooms, cheese, a drizzle of olive oil, salt, pepper, and basil.  The other was sauce, salami, canadian bacon, onions, cheese, and basil.  Really a fun cook and will be doing it again.

Filled

Stuffed and ready to go!

Done but not the color on top I wanted

after a bit under the broiler

great thin crust

underside was done great on this one 

the setup

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    Great choice of fillings. I tend to cook at a much lower temp, maybe 450 max, it bakes rather than "pizzas". 
    Looks good, have you tried them at a slightly lower temp? You won't need the broiler. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,432
    Yum, those look good!  

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Great choice of fillings. I tend to cook at a much lower temp, maybe 450 max, it bakes rather than "pizzas". 
    Looks good, have you tried them at a slightly lower temp? You won't need the broiler. 
    really did it on a whim.  I thought next go around I would do it lower to get more of the bake effect.  i went 600 because that his what zippy used on the recipe because of the higher moister content but I an adjust that a bit.
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    @U_tarded I've used zippy's cold rise (made with Canadian bread flour mind you) for pizza cooks at 500 with great results. For most pizza cooks, the topping seems to need a little more while the crust is doing just fine, using the higher moisture Zippy blend - it all comes out good. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    nice. I really enjoyed the monster stomboli I made a while back.  We had so much leftover, it fed us for the next 4 days.  It was even better re-heated. 

nice. I really enjoyed the monster stomboli I made a while back.  We had so much leftover, it fed us for the next 4 days.  It was even better re-heated. 

Damn. Must have been a big one! Nothing lasts four days in my house! Going to try one of these.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013