Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Merry Christmas and may your holiday be filled with delicious food and loved ones...to help you devour the food! Our Holiday Entertaining Guide can help if you’re still making a Christmas menu. If you’re looking for fun, last minute holiday activities, check out EGGcellent Sugar Cookies, BGE Cake Pops, Santa Hat Brownies, Pig Candy or Holiday Drinks! See you in the New Year EGGheads!

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Butt Help!

I'm cooking 2 8# butts for tomorrow. After 2.5 hours, internal temp is already at 98*, will they be overcooked in 8 hours when I wake up? Thanks in advance!

Comments

• lecramslecrams Posts: 97
    Cooking at a grate temp of 225* and dome temp of 270*
  • Every cut of meat is different.  I cook mine at 250 and they usually take me as little as 7 and as much as 10 hours.  Unless you have a maverick or some kind of system that would notify you when your butt is done, I would plan on waking up earlier than the 8 hours from now you indicated.  That's just my opinion.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

Well damn. I have a guru, but it won't wake me. I have usually found they take 1.5-2 hours per lb. So that would be 9 hours from now to 13 hours, but that doesn't seem realistic on this one.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 26,727
    They go quick to 150* or so. Then you wait and wait and wait. Leave them as they are, maybe bump the temp to 250*. If you are early then wrap in foil and put it in a warmed cooler. If you are late then bump the temp after you are through the plateau. Either way you are good,

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,251
    I cooked an 8 pound brisket in like, 5 hours yesterday.  I did a thorough egg table and outdoor cooking area cleaning today and decided to check my dome thermo - it was reading about 40F low.  Doh!  No wonder.  (I didn't bother using the DigiQ because I was just gonna make this be-otch finish by midnight one way or another).  Cook to done.

• tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,597
    I have cooked a 9 lb butt at 250-275 dome and it took 17 hours. It was worth the wait!
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    174* at 11 hours, guess I didn't need to set that alarm for 5 am. I have cooked a zillion butts, but have never really paid attention to how quick they ramp up. I know now!