Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Pastrami

Options
I've followed Thirdeye's pastrami recipe and each of his cooking methods here: http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/1996/05/beef-pastrami.html?m=1

The guest pit boss recipe on his site looked interesting so I thought I'd give it a try with some minor tweaks to the cooking method.

I had a small corned beef point (2.87 lbs) that I soaked in water for about 40 hours (in the fridge). Last night I dried it off and applied Bobberqer's rub (minus the juniper berries which I didn't have).
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

This morning I fired up the Mini and put the point on:

I took it off at an IT of 155, foiled it and put it back in the Mini:

Cooked it to an IT of about 180 and took it out of the foil to apply "Glaze #1" (from the recipe):

I took it off about 30 mins later:

And after a 30 min rest sliced it:
Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

Per the recipe, I saved a little of the glaze to apply after slicing but personally we found it too sweet for our tastes.

Overall it was tasty but I think I should look into curing larger cuts as this seemed like too much effort for so little pastrami. Thanks for looking!
XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA

Comments

• SkinnyV
    SkinnyV Posts: 3,404
    Options
    I did the same on my mini last week 4 lbs. The meat goes far with a meat slicer, had enough sandwiches to satisfy the pastrami fix for a while.
    Seattle, WA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Nice color. So you started with a corned beef, and soaked in water for 40 hours...then you said "I think I should look into curing larger cuts as this seemed like too much effort for so little pastrami."  Did you cure it or soak previously cured beef in fresh water?
    edited January 2013
    Options
    @SkinnyV - a nice met slicer is on my "to buy list" but unfortunately so is a bunch of other items!

Nola - I soaked previously cured beef in fresh water and then complained about the effort for the amount of meat I have left. It would have helped to mention I gave almost half of the meat to my in-laws. Really not much of an effort to soak beef. I think I'm just bummed that I have almost no leftovers. :((
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Ahhh....I was a little confused.  It is a good amount of work to go through all the steps.  I try to do mass quantities to get the economy of scale.  I even tell my friends I'm doing a cure and give them the chance to throw a chunk of meat (usually salmon) into the batch.