Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
April showers bring...National BBQ Month! Are you ready for a month full of briskets, pulled pork and chicken wings? We hope so, because it’s almost here! Keep an eye out for some of our favorite BBQ recipes we’ll be sharing with you throughout the month of May.

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Brisket - Success!

OK, thanks to all of you guys on here, my first brisket was a success.

I found a small brisket from Sams - only weighed about 4 lbs.  I coated it with a mixture of yellow mustard and worcesteshire sauce, then coated with Dizzy Pig Shakin' the Tree.

I cooked with the dome temp running between 275 and 300.  I only opened the top a few times toward the end to stick with the ThermoPen.  Drip pan didn't have any water in it. Used apple and cherry wood for smoke.  Here are some pictures since it didn't happen on here without them!  :-)

Again, thanks for all of the help on the forum - couldn't have done it without all the pointers.

Just going on...

About finished...

First slices...

·

Comments

• Way to go!
    ·
  • nice job. great bark

·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,100
    Dang-home-run out-a-the-box.  Congrats-make some notes as success with brisket is a bit of a challenge.
    Louisville
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Nice job! I wish my first brisket looked that good.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·
  • Me too R2! i tried my first on a gasser 20 years ago, had no idea what I was doing and it showed. Truly dreadful. I can't believe I didn't quit right there.

·
  • How long did you cook it for at those temps?
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
    ·
  • The cook time was about 7.5 hours (remember, it's only 4 lbs), then wrapped in foil and two towels, and let rest in a cooler for two hours.
    ·
  • R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,652
    Me too R2! i tried my first on a gasser 20 years ago, had no idea what I was doing and it showed. Truly dreadful. I can't believe I didn't quit right there.

My first was a completely trimmed flat on an electric smoker. I also had no clue what to buy or how to cook it. It tasted like shoe leather (or at least what I imagine shoe leather would taste like). Would have loved to have had an Egg & this forum back then. Admittedly my 2nd brisket also didn't look as good as ptmurphy's either.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
    ·