Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First Brisket - Success!

Options
OK, thanks to all of you guys on here, my first brisket was a success.

I found a small brisket from Sams - only weighed about 4 lbs.  I coated it with a mixture of yellow mustard and worcesteshire sauce, then coated with Dizzy Pig Shakin' the Tree.

I cooked with the dome temp running between 275 and 300.  I only opened the top a few times toward the end to stick with the ThermoPen.  Drip pan didn't have any water in it. Used apple and cherry wood for smoke.  Here are some pictures since it didn't happen on here without them!  :-)

Again, thanks for all of the help on the forum - couldn't have done it without all the pointers.

Just going on...

About finished...

First slices...

Comments

• rustypotts
    Options
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    nice job. great bark

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,347
    Options
    Dang-home-run out-a-the-box.  Congrats-make some notes as success with brisket is a bit of a challenge.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Nice job! I wish my first brisket looked that good.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Me too R2! i tried my first on a gasser 20 years ago, had no idea what I was doing and it showed. Truly dreadful. I can't believe I didn't quit right there.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • bccomstock
    Options
    How long did you cook it for at those temps?
    LBGE
    MS Gulf Coast - Proud member of the Who Dat Nation!
    My Not Frequently Updated Basically Dead Blog: http://datcue.wordpress.com
  • ptmurphy
    Options
    The cook time was about 7.5 hours (remember, it's only 4 lbs), then wrapped in foil and two towels, and let rest in a cooler for two hours.
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Me too R2! i tried my first on a gasser 20 years ago, had no idea what I was doing and it showed. Truly dreadful. I can't believe I didn't quit right there.

My first was a completely trimmed flat on an electric smoker. I also had no clue what to buy or how to cook it. It tasted like shoe leather (or at least what I imagine shoe leather would taste like). Would have loved to have had an Egg & this forum back then. Admittedly my 2nd brisket also didn't look as good as ptmurphy's either.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA