Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s that time of year again-time to hop on out to your backyard for an EGG hunt. If you’re lucky, you’ll only have to search as far as your patio! Planning on cooking Easter Sunday? Check out our Easter Menu. If you’re looking for a sweet treat to enjoy with the whole family, try at least one of our sweet treats, if not both: Grilled Peeps & Carrot Cupcakes. Lastly, if you’re having company, our Pinterest page has lots of ideas for entertaining. We hope you have an EGGstra tasty holiday!

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cold Smoked Salmon

I did this earlier this week and am just now getting around to consuming some of it. I cured using the recipe from 'Charcuterie'. Wow, it came out really good. image image Here they are after the cure....the thin tail ends are a little over cured...not sure how to remedy that next time. image ...and after a 6 hour cold smoke (cherry chunks for smoke). image Finally...Served for lunch today after letting it sit a few days to let the smoke mellow. I'll be doing this a lot from now on..really good stuff. image
·

Comments

• rtt121rtt121 Posts: 633
    I hate to have an off topic first comment. Beautiful salmon...

You aren't a golf pro by chance are you?
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    ·
  • Mighty_QuinnMighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    thanks...no golf pro here. I'm a pro at riding in the cart and drinking beer :))
    ·
  • rtt121rtt121 Posts: 633
    10-4.  I happened to see in another post you are from Philly Burbs.  There is a local pro in the area (South Jersey) who uses the moniker Mighty_Quinn.  Puts it on everything... license plate etc..

Sorry for the hi-jack.  Resume normally scheduled programming..
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    ·
    I grew up near Pittsburgh (haven't lived there for 20 years or so) but live in the Denver burbs now...never Philly. No worries on the hijack...hang around here long enough and you'll see it happens all the time...no one seems to care.
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 12,866
    Damn!  That looks great Quinn!

I used the same recipe before.  Trick on the thin parts, sprinkle less cure on the thin parts...make your cure thickness proportional to the fish thickness.

·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,736
    That looks really good. Can you share details about the cold smoke? Temp, wood, time, etc? Thanks in advance.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,075

What Nola said MQ!

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    tulocay said:
    That looks really good. Can you share details about the cold smoke? Temp, wood, time, etc? Thanks in advance.

I used a small bge (fire) connected to a large bge (smoke chamber)...temp was in the 45-50* range. cherry for wood, smoked 6 hours. image
    ·
    Thanks nola and LS...I tried that suggestion nola...it recommends that in the Ruhlman book. I guess I need to use even less cure at the tail ends.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,075
    Quinn, I see you are using the stike-o-matic cold smoker B-)

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • tulocaytulocay Posts: 1,736
    Thanks for the info.
    LBGE, Marietta, GA
    ·
    Quinn, I see you are using the stike-o-matic cold smoker B-)

yep...works really well.
    ·
  • Quinn can you give us the details on the cure pls? I would like to try some of this with the beancan CS... 
    ·
    from rulhman 'charcuterie'. for 1 1/2 lbs salmon side--125g kosher salt, 50 g dark brown sugar, 100g sugar, 6g pink salt, 3g white pepper, 3g ground allspice, 3g ground bayleaf, 2g gound cloves, 2g ground mace, 1 1/2 T dark rum. Basically lay half the cure out in a pan, put salmon skin side down and then cover flesh with other half. go 24-36 hours until fish feels nice and firm.
    ·
  • 500500 Posts: 1,513
    Is this the flavor of smoked salmon that you might typically find on a bagel with cream cheese, capers, red onions, dill, and cucumber?  Really enjoy that taste.
    Large BGE; Midlothian, Virginia
    I like Pig Butts and I can not lie.
    "Barbecue is a journey, one meal at a time."
    ·
    Yep
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,785
    Looks delicious!
    ·
  • Do you have to have 2 Eggs to do Salmon ?
    ·
  • GA_DawgsGA_Dawgs Posts: 273
    No, check out the amaze-n-smoker or any of the other cold smoke devices. They are cheap and work great.
    ·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,144
    I will be doing this next time I see salmon on sale, which leads me to my question . . . . what kind of salmon is recommended for this exact process?  Forgive me if it is listed in Rulhmans book (mine is packed away since our move) and THANKS!
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,757
    That is gorgeous, MQ!! Good job. Are you 100% sure its safe to eat? You can send some down my way and I'll try it out for you to make sure. ;)

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,144
    @griffin that batch might not be safe because it was made back in January!  I tend to respond to old bookmarked pages, sorry, but you are right it is gorgeous!

Columbus, Ohio
    ·