Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

BGE going cmping.....

Options
Fritz
Fritz Posts: 179
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
We are going camping this summer.[p]We have never dne this as a family so I am tring to figur out what to cook on my BGE in the woods. I am open for suggestions as to what works. I think we are going down to Hotlanta and will come back with a mini. hat goes good with a mini (and maybe a small) for camping. Can one survive with just a mini? Can it do coffee? Or should I buy one of those propane things?[p]Fritz

Comments

• Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Fritz,
    When I went last year, we brought Mr. Big in the back of my truck. I cooked jerked pork tenderloin night 1, spare ribs night 2, and a 17 pound turkey night 3. This was good camping! [p]I say bring the small as opposed to the mini if you have the space. Lo/slo stuff tastes even better when you are camping. Babybacks in a rib rack...you can get plenty on a small. Anything you can cook at home, you can cook in the woods. Prepare the stuff ahead, and stick it deep in the ice in your cooler. Cook at will.[p]Where you headed??
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Fritz
    Fritz Posts: 179
    Options
    Nature Boy,[p]We are going up north to northern Minnesotta.[p]We will camp in Wisconsin along the way.[p]You were able to keep that food cold for all those days in the cooler?[p]Did you also use a propane burner for other items such as coffee, or did you just set a pot on the BGE grid?[p]Fritz
  • Nature Boy
    Nature Boy Posts: 8,687
    Options
    Fritz,
    Aww man. That is beautiful country up there. Bring the bug spray!! You got a canoe?? Don't ferget the fishin poles and some BIG lures![p]Block ice works wonders. Freeze some half gallon/gallon containers of water and use those. Every couple days you might need stop at the general store to get another block.[p]For coffee, and other stuff I use my propane stove. No reason you couldn't do some water heating, or pan cooking on the egg though. [p]Another thing to consider is freezing your food before putting it in the cooler. It will slowly thaw in the cooler. Pork and beef seem to do well freezing with the marinade, though this doesn't work that well with chicken. Definitely include ribs in your menu![p]Sounds like a blast! Have fun
    NB

DizzyPigBBQ.com
    Twitter: @dizzypigbbq
    Facebook: Dizzy Pig Seasonings
    Instagram: @DizzyPigBBQ
  • Unknown
    Options
    Fritz, since you're going to THOSE northwoods you might want to take long extra tatters since they go good with those two pound skeeters! Since you can't swat those big guys you nail between the eyes like a lobster. I go 3-3-5 at 750! ^oo^~