Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Water in the Egg

Options
I finally tore down this atrocious metal patio cover that the previous owners put up here at the house.  Consequently, I had my egg sit out in the rain for the first time ever for the last couple of days.

I went to clean out the ash for a cook today and it was all wet like mud.  The last cook was a sitting' chicken with the place setter and then I closed the egg with the ceramic stopper after the cook.

Does the moisture still enter through the porousness of the ceramic or do I have some unseen leak I should be worried about?

Comments

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Was your bottom vent open?
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options

Was your bottom vent open?
    And depending on the amount of rain and if your egg's dome is not lined up with the base, water can seep in through the felt line. 
    Scrape out the mud and light it up....
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Dry it out, then sprinkle it with a hose - simulate mother nature and see where it's leaking in.  You can always cover it.
    Options
    I often have the mud soon dries up when you light it.
    Lynnwood WA
  • SMITTYtheSMOKER
    Options

Depends on just how much moisture you got inside, you may want to build a small little fire at first to slowing dry out the Egg.   A dozen pieces of lump lit in the bottom will not overheat the Egg and risk a crack.

We had a customer get her Egg blown into her pool during a big storm, she dried it out this way and it made it back to a regular Egg life.

-SMITTY     

from SANTA CLARA, CA

• GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

I had that happen. Invited my Sis & BIL for pizza. What a disaster. Temp would not come up.

I did start a low250* fire 3 or 4 hours ahead to dry it out, but still wasn't enough.Never seen 450*.

I let the rest of the coals go total 6 or 7 hours. That did the trick. Now I cover all the time.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• James MB
    James MB Posts: 359
    Options

AsSkiddymarker said - I have found this a result of a bit of felt gasket sticking out because the lid isn't aligned. Rain then seems to seep through.

This means the charcoal will get damp too and a high likelihood of mould. I usually add fresh charcoal to light to ensure I have a decent chance at getting up to temp but it can take an age to dry out if you want grilling temps. Sometimes I take all the dregs out and just use fresh to help - i add the damp charcoal leftovers once the fire is raging, otherwise I store them in a bowl indoors so they dry out slowly. If really small I use them as bio-char.

I'm in We(s)t Scotland and it has been a very wet year! ymmv.

• Badong
    Badong Posts: 126
    Options
    Planning to buy a cover but those mugs are $160!!!  Have to save up for it.

In the meantime, my egg does have a bit of an under-bite when I close the lid.  I thought I came across instructions on how to correct this here or maybe on the main site but can't find it now . . .
  • GK59
    GK59 Posts: 501
    Options

I purchased a A/C cover from my heating / Egg guy. It's gray. But heavy enough not to blow off.

I was actually using the one that came with our new a/c. Had to get a second one for it for the winter.

Smitty's Kid's BBQ

Bay City,MI

• CanadianEgghead
    Options
    Get some good UV resistant fabric and have your new favorite person make you one up! Just sayin'...
  • henapple
    henapple Posts: 16,025
    Options
    One night while doing a low and slow I dreamed I went to check on the egg and the base was full of water with lump floating in it. Woke up in a cold sweat.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN