Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

RUST----my bad

MickeyMickey Posts: 16,179
I do not use these but don't want like this. Found in a storage bin that had gotten water in it. How do I fix it and what do I put on it for extended storage? Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos
Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·

Comments

• ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,956
    Would be interested to see what would happen if you put it in egg on a nuclear temp. Man not sure. Lot of rust!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,276
    Damn Mick! I thought Texas was all desert and dry as a fart?

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • __________________________________________

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • Only one way to fix it. Buy a new one.
    Piero from South Etobicoke in Toronto, XL-BGE
    ·
  • EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,042
    CLR or electrolysis.
    ·
  • travisstricktravisstrick Posts: 4,796
    Nuke the death out of it (directly in the coals) then re season like normal.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
    ·
  • rtt121rtt121 Posts: 635
    Mickey said:
    I do not use these but
    Ok.. I'll bite.  ???
    Medium, and XL eggs in Galloway NJ.  Just outside of Atlantic City.  
    ·
  • Wire brush the loose stuff off of it , then put a liberal coat of oil on it and put it your hot egg when you shut it down to re- season it. If that don't work try the CLR like others have mentioned
    Ova B.
    Fulton MO
    ·
  • Nuke the death out of it (directly in the coals) then re season like normal.

Yup. It'll cut most of it. I rusted mine and then tossed it straight in the coals for a time. Oil it like a cast iron pan and put in a 500+ egg while cooling down. Mine is almost back to normal. Every couple cooks I try to remember to oil it and let it get hot and then stay in egg on cool down just on a rack or something. It'll never be like new but it'll be a lot better.

All that being said. Mine looked nothing like yours so good luck.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·
  • Damn Mick! I thought Texas was all desert and dry as a fart?

As dry as a "popcorn fart"
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,752
    I'm no expert, but rust is like cancer- you have to get every last bit out or else it comes back.

I would take it apart and maybe soak it in CLR. Then wire wheel or wire brush it to get all the rust out. The brush will likely get to the nooks and crannies the best. Then heat it up a bit at 250 to open up the pores. Oil it then bake at 500 for an hour or so and let the egg cool down. Repeat the seasoning if you like. Flaxseed oil works great for my cast iron skillets.

Once seasoned, put it back together with stainless steel hardware.

Then put it up on a shelf and admire how shiny it is!

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • bubba timbubba tim Posts: 3,216
    Mickey,
    Take it completely apart. Use a wire brush or better yet have it sandblasted. Once cleaned, paint it with Crisco and bake it at 350 for 2 hours.  Take it out and let it cool for 1 hour. Repeat with another painting and bake for another 2 hours. Wipe clean and reassemble after it has cooled down. Once or twice a month, spray Pam on it and put it into a cooling down egg.
    SEE YOU IN FLORIDA, March 14th and 15th 2014 http://www.sunshinestateeggfest.com You must master temp, smoke, and time to achive moisture, taste, and texture! Visit www.bubbatim.com for BRISKET HELP
    ·
  • There are several videos on YouTube showing people reconditioning Cast Iron by soaking it in vinegar (as I remember). You might also Google recondition cast iron. Best of luck!
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,083
    Find you a powder coat shop...they sand blast iron...or a paint contractor (commercial)
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • MaskedMarvelMaskedMarvel Posts: 1,253
    I used to strip golf club heads by soaking them in coke.  Best Vokey wedges ever, now..
    Large BGE -- Greensboro!

·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,275
    Soak in Ospho, rinse thoroughly, spray with Pam and put in hot Egg.
    Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,815
    If you have an angle grinder, a cup brush for that will make short work of the rust.  Or, but the drill version of the cup brush. 

·
  • Put it in a ziplock and fill it with gunpowder.  Get your Egg extremely hot, and put the ziplock on the coals.  Stand very close because pulling it out of the fire at the right time is extremely important.

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • bud812bud812 Posts: 1,375
    Damn Mick! I thought Texas was all desert and dry as a fart?

As dry as a "popcorn fart"
    I've had a few that were not very dry, but that's  another story. 
    :-&

Not to get technical, but according to chemistry alcohol is a solution...

Large & Small BGE

Stockton Ca.

·
  • TUTTLE871TUTTLE871 Posts: 1,316
    Put it in a ziplock and fill it with gunpowder.  Get your Egg extremely hot, and put the ziplock on the coals.  Stand very close because pulling it out of the fire at the right time is extremely important.

I just fell out of my chair reading this one.

"Hold my beer and watch this S##T!"

LARGE BGE DALLAS TX.

·
  • I'd add some steel shot also to the ziplock bag
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,276
    Yeah or recycle it and spend a double sawbuck on a new one. Do the presidents cover their eyes when you pull out yer wallet Mick? Sheesh

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,083
    I've heard good bourbon is great for this situation. Pour a glass, neat, and stare at this forum. You won't care about the dw anymore.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • BrowninggoldBrowninggold Posts: 453
    edited January 2013
    I'm with you on that one...Woodford Reserve on the rocks :) Maybe get enough people drinking and they can donate to help "the fellow eager purchase a XL" foundation :) I've been doing that now for hours on my fifth bourbon haven't even blinked.
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,956
    Spray paint it black and put it on craigslist.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • BYS1981BYS1981 Posts: 1,827
    rtt121 said:

Mickey said:

I do not use these but
    Ok.. I'll bite.  ???

Sounds like Mickey cooks without a daisy wheel. I dont either. I KISS, keep it simple stupid, one temperature controller is all I need. I only use wheel on less than 300.
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,179
    Just what BYS1981 said except I never use it on any of the eggs.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,694
    BYS1981 said:
    Mickey said:
    I do not use these but
    Ok.. I'll bite.  ???

Sounds like Mickey cooks without a daisy wheel. I dont either. I KISS, keep it simple stupid, one temperature controller is all I need. I only use wheel on less than 300.
    Agreed, that's why I use the DFMT. I don't like bending over to move that stupid slide, rip a hole in your finger, sticking bottom vent. 
    Truth is you can control air with either the top or the bottom vents, it is a person choice. 
    I like the CLR route, clean it up and then re-season. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • EllisEllis Posts: 192
    Mickey you could scatter some gold doubloons around it and put on ebay, and next time your on a dive trip your bring up the canon. 

·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,434
    Take it to a sand blast/bead blast shop and have them dust it off.  Re-season and it will be as good as new.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·