Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Are you happy it’s finally National BBQ Month? While we like to BBQ year round, May is our favorite because the whole country is celebrating delicious food. If you’re new to cooking BBQ on your EGG, check out our Smoking Basics Publication...if not, proceed to some of our favorite recipes! We love Dr. BBQ’s Coffee Rubbed Brisket, Famous Dave’s Sticky Ribs and Virginia Willis’ Pulled Pork. Pair with this cheesy favorite for a winning way to start off May!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Mapp Torch Question

kbutler84kbutler84 Posts: 101
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Used my Bernzomatic TS8000 for the first time tonight. That was fun!! But I noticed that while holding the torch at an angle after a while, the flame turned yellow and began to sputter a little bit. I thought this particular model along with a Mapp canister was saupposed to prevent that from happening?
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,810
    You're pulling up liquid when you tilt it too much.  The carburator is designed to pull in gas.  So you're pulling in liquid, it's spewing out more fuel than it can supply air for (running rich).  You get a "reducing" flame, which is yellow.   The torch with a hose is a workaround for this problem.

·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,810
    And it's not MAPP gas - they stopped making that years ago.  It's a substitute - probably called "MAP" or something like that.  Marketing spin.  Still, burns hotter than propane.

·
  • billyraybillyray Posts: 1,120
    Probably Map/Pro
    Felton, Ca. 2-LBGE, 1-Small and waiting on a mini
    ·
  • kbutler84kbutler84 Posts: 101
    This is what I bought:
    http://m.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-16-92-oz-Max-Power-Propylene-Kit-330154/202185049/

Is there another type of canister I should have gotten?
    ·
  • newegg13newegg13 Posts: 231
    I bought the benzomatic with the hose and haven't had that problem. http://m.homedepot.com/p/Bernzomatic-Fat-Boy-Trigger-Start-Hose-Torch-Kit-330278/202185047/
    Amateur Egger; professional rodeo clown. Birmingham, AL
    ·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,796
    Kbutler I have the same one. It's perfect. The situation you describe is what Nola said. Use less angle or just buy the hose that connects the tank to the torch. That'll have the tank upright. Or just live with it as its not a big deal really.
    Boom
    ·
  • kbutler84kbutler84 Posts: 101
    Can you buy the hose separately? I haven't been able to find it.
    ·
  • I have only used mine a few times. Haven't seen the sputter yet but did want the hose option. Mine was on sale so snagged it up and am going to take my chances until I see a hose or blow my arm off.

LBGE & SBGE (big momma and pat)
    ·