Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best way to cook thick steak?

Options
OziEgg
OziEgg Posts: 48
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
What do you guys think is the best way to cook a thick steak?

I cooked a 2kg (2 inch thick) tomahawk steak recently. I seared it direct and then put in the plate setter for about one hour at about 275.

Turned out fine.

Cooking a couple of thick t-bones tomorrow and wouldn't mind some hints.

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Thick steaks are hard to cook evenly.  A trick is to foodsaver them, or put them in a zip lock and remove all the air (you can fill sink with water and use the water pressure to push out the air).  Next "hot tub" them - this is a caveman sous vide trick - put them in 120-125F water (you can do this with a good thermometer and the stove and some occasional monitoring) for an hour or two.  Then sear them on the egg. 

Or, cook them slow and get some smoke to 120F, then take them off, heat up the egg and reverse sear.
    Options
    +1 on the reverse sear method
    Lynnwood WA
  • burr_baby33
    Options
    Nola is right. Hot tub them and you will have the internal temp approx 110 - 115. Finish on the egg.
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Options
    I use a big coleman cooler with hot tap water (130 degrees is target- add water from kettle or ice). I vacuum seal the big steaks (no seasoning yet) and hot tub (sous vide) for 2 hours. Then pull out, season, sear for 60 seconds a side and serve. Perfectly cooked medium rare steak every time regardless of thickness!  

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    Options
    I've been converted to indirect followed by reverse sear. I set the steaks up on my adjustable rig sitting on top of my CI grill. I cook at 275° with some hickory until about 120° internal, the remove the steaks and cover, pull out the AR and open up the beast to about 700° then throw the meat back on for 45-60 seconds a side to sear them up.
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    +1 on Nola. I reverse-seared 1.5 inch ribeyes last Monday. AWESOME. The smoke picked up was superb. Hot tub is next.
  • BYS1981
    BYS1981 Posts: 2,533
    Options
    I do reverse sear as Greeno55 mentioned. I like this method because I like a steak med rare - medium, and my wife loves sear marks.
  • MrCookingNurse
    Options
    Reverse sear is easiest for me. Haven't gotten brave enugh to hot tub one. Reading up on it though.

XLBGE 
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    I've hot tubbed and have reverse seared for some time. Hot tub is good, results are almost foolproof, but without a sous vide heater, you do have to keep an eye on it and it does take some time. 
    Reverse sear is my method of choice for two reasons, the meat picks up some smoke (if you like that) and the meat seems to pick up herb seasoning (rub) flavor much better. Indirect at 225 for about 30 minutes to get the internal up to 5-10 below target temp. Remove, let it rest covered while egg goes into after-burn, then sear away, maybe 60-90 seconds each side. 
    SWMBO likes her steak ruined, so it goes on the indirect for 10 minutes before mine. Result is she gets a well done steak that "has so much flavor" which really means it is still juicy, but no pink. 
    For thick steak cuts - reverse sear. 
    Put your CI grid in first, setter then SS grid. I use an old pizza stone I cut in half giving me a half moon "setter" for the indirect. I remove the raised grid only and sear on the CI grid (works for two of us) Much easier than trying to get a hot setter out. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!