Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Probe Died on Maverick

I have a not too old Maverick E732 and my grill probe went nuts on me. fluctuating all over the place. I see new probes are $15ish plus $7 shipping, but I dont see this model any longer on their site. Is there a better one I should just pick up instead?
San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
Wolf Studios Photography
http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 11,399
    What's "not too old"? This seems to be a common issue, but apparently, there warranty is service is pretty good. I'd give them a call.
    ·
  • I bought it April 28 of last year. Their warranty says 90 days. I will give them a ring.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    ·
  • Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. Give 'em a call, they will probably replace it for free.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 7,057
    if you have to buy new ones I think Big Poppa Smokers or someone had high-heat probes for the et732.Try a Google search maybe?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • pineypiney Posts: 614
    Alex same thing here I bought a Maverick ET-732 I had problems with probes they shipped me 2 new ones twice, it still was all over the board and just yesterday they replaced the entire unit. I would suggest giving them a call.I talked to a lady named Pricilla, very helpful very nice.
    Lenoir, N.C.
    ·
  • Freds has replacement probes.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • Thanks guys. I emailed them and will call on Monday.

I checked Freds, but they are the highest price I have found. It was a similar situation when I was trying to find the fire starters. Their shipping was super high as well.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    ·
  • I live close to Freds, so I don't know what his shipping rates run. They are great there. Give them a call and see if they'll match a lower price.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,442
    Man don't tell me that! Just got a maverick today..
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,564
    Got mine last August. Grill probe went out and they told me I'd have to buy a new one. $12
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    henapple said:
    Got mine last August. Grill probe went out and they told me I'd have to buy a new one. $12
    Crap. At the rate these things seem to die, one would have the Thermoworks version paid off very quickly.
    ·
  • jscarfojscarfo Posts: 399
    Does anyone place sell remote thermometers that can take higher heat. I just burnt up another one. Mine says HHH blinking. Been thru a few already
    ·
    Thermoworks(makers of the vaunted Thermapen) offers one that use thermocouples that can withstand the heat. It is not wireless. The offer a "BBQ kit" that a little over 200 bucks. The "high heat" kit is 160.

·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,339
    Have any of you that have had probe problems used them exposed to direct heat from the charcoal?  I always make sure to run them along the plate setter and out over  the gasket.  I  only use them on indirect cooks.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,470
    Both my 732's are out of warranty.  I have been buying these hybrid probes as replacement.  They can be used as food or pit probes.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 5,442
    What temp are you guys using these in? I just got a maverick. Prior to used a cheap 20 dollar remote thermometer for a year with no issue.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,788
    I bought a couple of these dual channel thermometers that use K-type probes - $18/each when I bought 'em.  Looks like they raised the price.  Anyway, don't use them for BBQ (beer temps and hvac stuff) but I don't see why they wouldn't work.  The K-type probe are virtually indestructible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N80IME/ref=wms_ohs_product

·
  • jscarfojscarfo Posts: 399
    I was cooking a 3" pork chop and it got away from me. To many beers probably. I usually get good life out of them unless im careless
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,564
    I've used mine on cooks under 400...anything else is a pizza or a sear.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Priscilla sent me a new set. I have a 14lb brisket set to go on tonight, crossing my fingers.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    ·