Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Probe Died on Maverick

I have a not too old Maverick E732 and my grill probe went nuts on me. fluctuating all over the place. I see new probes are $15ish plus $7 shipping, but I dont see this model any longer on their site. Is there a better one I should just pick up instead?
San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
Wolf Studios Photography
http://www.wolfstudiosphotography.com
·

Comments

• EggcelsiorEggcelsior Posts: 10,819
    What's "not too old"? This seems to be a common issue, but apparently, there warranty is service is pretty good. I'd give them a call.
    ·
  • I bought it April 28 of last year. Their warranty says 90 days. I will give them a ring.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    ·
  • Same thing happened to me a couple of months ago. Give 'em a call, they will probably replace it for free.
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,711
    if you have to buy new ones I think Big Poppa Smokers or someone had high-heat probes for the et732.Try a Google search maybe?

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·
  • pineypiney Posts: 510
    Alex same thing here I bought a Maverick ET-732 I had problems with probes they shipped me 2 new ones twice, it still was all over the board and just yesterday they replaced the entire unit. I would suggest giving them a call.I talked to a lady named Pricilla, very helpful very nice.
    Lenoir, N.C.
    ·
  • Freds has replacement probes.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • Thanks guys. I emailed them and will call on Monday.

I checked Freds, but they are the highest price I have found. It was a similar situation when I was trying to find the fire starters. Their shipping was super high as well.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    ·
  • I live close to Freds, so I don't know what his shipping rates run. They are great there. Give them a call and see if they'll match a lower price.
    Mark Annville, PA
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,775
    Man don't tell me that! Just got a maverick today..
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,812
    Got mine last August. Grill probe went out and they told me I'd have to buy a new one. $12
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    henapple said:
    Got mine last August. Grill probe went out and they told me I'd have to buy a new one. $12
    Crap. At the rate these things seem to die, one would have the Thermoworks version paid off very quickly.
    ·
  • jscarfojscarfo Posts: 398
    Does anyone place sell remote thermometers that can take higher heat. I just burnt up another one. Mine says HHH blinking. Been thru a few already
    ·
    Thermoworks(makers of the vaunted Thermapen) offers one that use thermocouples that can withstand the heat. It is not wireless. The offer a "BBQ kit" that a little over 200 bucks. The "high heat" kit is 160.

·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,252
    Have any of you that have had probe problems used them exposed to direct heat from the charcoal?  I always make sure to run them along the plate setter and out over  the gasket.  I  only use them on indirect cooks.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • BOWHUNRBOWHUNR Posts: 1,433
    Both my 732's are out of warranty.  I have been buying these hybrid probes as replacement.  They can be used as food or pit probes.

Mike

I'm ashamed what I did for a Klondike Bar!!

Omaha, NE
    ·
  • ChubbsChubbs Posts: 4,775
    What temp are you guys using these in? I just got a maverick. Prior to used a cheap 20 dollar remote thermometer for a year with no issue.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 13,421
    I bought a couple of these dual channel thermometers that use K-type probes - $18/each when I bought 'em.  Looks like they raised the price.  Anyway, don't use them for BBQ (beer temps and hvac stuff) but I don't see why they wouldn't work.  The K-type probe are virtually indestructible.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005N80IME/ref=wms_ohs_product

·
  • jscarfojscarfo Posts: 398
    I was cooking a 3" pork chop and it got away from me. To many beers probably. I usually get good life out of them unless im careless
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,812
    I've used mine on cooks under 400...anything else is a pizza or a sear.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • Priscilla sent me a new set. I have a 14lb brisket set to go on tonight, crossing my fingers.
    San Antonio, TX. LBGE.
    Wolf Studios Photography
    ·