Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Simple Spatchcock Chicken (pix)

Options

We decided on a simple spatchcock chicken tonight.  I usually remove the cavity's membrane (rib plates, etc) when I spatchcock, but tonight I decided to leave it intact.  My past reasoning for removing them was that I could get more rub directly on the meat itself, thus adding more flavor.  But tonight I discovered that both the white and dark meat ended up much juicier without removing the cavity's bones.  The dark meat cooked to a perfect 180 deg, and the breast cooked to a perfect 159 deg, which raised a couple degrees during the rest.  It was probably the best spatchcock chicken I've ever cooked.  Less rub penetration, but the chicken really didn't need it.  It still had plenty of flavor from the skin, as well as the rub I shoved under the skin.  I think that by leaving the cavity intact, it protected the breasts, allowing them to cook slower than the leg quarters.  The breasts were pretty big too, so I'm thinking that also was a factor.   

Grilled direct, raised on top of the AR at around a 385 deg f dome temp.

The Legs and Thighs were removed, and then the Breasts were sliced up since the chicken was so big.

That big hunk of thawing meat you see in the background is a boneless venison ham that I'm about to thaw in the fridge for deer jerky purposes.  :)

My wife's plate:

My plate:

The chicken was served up with fresh Green Beans and Risotto, which my wife whipped up inside.  Pretty good Friday night meal!  Sometimes simple is better...

Comments

• r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    Options
    Wow that chicken has some fat thighs!  Looks great.  
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• Eggucated
    Eggucated Posts: 213
    Options
    Love Spatchcock chicken, so many uses for the leftovers. The risotto looks great too, did she add cheese to it?
    Thanks, Mike "Live in such a way that if anyone should speak badly of you, no one will believe it."
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,052
    Options
    Thx y'all! The chicken was enormous...one of those Walmart deals. I'm sure it was pumped full of hormones. We typically try to get hormone free, but had this guy in the freezer for a long time....so we wanted to get it out of the freezer (along with the venison ham) to make room for the new deer I'm about to throw in.

Eggucated, she usually adds feta cheese, but forgot to add it tonight. It still ate mighty fine. ;)