Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Boston butt not completely thawed.....ok to still cook?

Thanks for any advice. It's an 8lb sucker and I want to start it at 10p tonight
Charlotte, nc
·

Comments

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,914
    Yeah, you can put them on frozen.  They'll thaw out fine in the egg.  I wouldn't do the same with a steak, but a roast cooked to 200F, no problem.

·
  • Thanks
    Charlotte, nc
    ·
  • shtgunal3shtgunal3 Posts: 2,902
    @nolaegghead do you put them on fully frozen or partially thawed? Got two in the freezer now.

LBGE,SBGE, and a mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

·
  • FanOfFanboysFanOfFanboys Posts: 1,845
    edited January 2013
    Technically fully frozen would work but take long time, can't inject, harder to rub bc excess sweating.
    Boom
    ·
    rub don't stick to ice very well.  Thaw it best you can within your time frame.

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352

I've done them from fully frozen and they are better than than fresh IMHO. A little bit defrosted allows ther rub to hold better. Several hours longer but the smoke flavour is incredible

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    Plus the lovely smoke ring....don't forget the aesthetics. 

·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,352

And way better bark. I ain't skeered

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
    whoever said the bite was worse than the bark wasn't freezing their butts

·
  • At 11 hrs of a 16 hr cook and the temp is at 300. Was there the entire night. Can't get it to 250. For an 8lber what does this do to my cooking time? Still 2hrs per lb?
    Charlotte, nc
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,664
    The guidance of around 2 hrs/# at 250*F on the dome is just that...cook til the bone pulls clean somewhere in the 195-205*F meat temperature range.  With 300*F on your calibrated dome thermo you should see around 1.25 hrs/# plus some additional time (~ an hour) for the thaw-check the meat temp and bone resistance to gauge the finish-line.
    Louisville   L & S BGEs 
    ·
  • Thanks for the advice. I'm amazed the egg held a steady temp through the night and the entire burn. And left me quite a bit of unused lump behind to cook 6 chicken breasts and then some. The meat basically fell off be bone. Thanks for the advice.
    Charlotte, nc
    ·