Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another New Egger - Help Needed Accessories

Options
Unknown
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
What a great forum and cult here. I went looking for another Oklahoma Joe's grill last weekend and ended up buying the X-large BGE.
There isn't much choice where I live and the dealer who had the OK Joe's doesn't sell them anymore; they have gone to selling grills like the ones you would find in a Home Depot. I had heard about the BGE previously and saw how big the X-large one was I had to get it. I bought it at an applicance store and likely paid top dollar but it was already assembled and came with a few extras. [p]The store, however, is quite a ways away and at the time I didn't know what accessories I would be needing nor did the store seem to have that many. After reading the recipes of the pros on this forum I am anxious to give some of them a try. [p]Of particular interest at this time is making a pizza. I seen a few messages here and I think I need a stone, a stand to put the stone on, and a pizza shovel. Anyone have any recommendations and suggestions as to where to buy on the internet. Also I saw some conversations on bricks. Do you actually put them in the BGE. If so where?[p]Thanks in advance.

Comments

• YB
    YB Posts: 3,861
    Options
    BruceW,
    Call and ask for John or B.A. they will help with anything you need.
    Larry[p]Big Green Egg
    Factory Store and
    Retail Mail/Phone Orders
    3414 Clairmont Road
    Atlanta, GA 30319
    (404) 321-4658
    Hours: Mon-Sat 10am-6pm ET
    Serving retail customers in Atlanta GA and the continental United States

• BruceW,
    I also am a 'newbie', but in my opinion instead of investing in stuff like a Place Setter, Extender and all the rest of the fineries, buy a few fireplace bricks, a pizza stone, an extra grill and build what you need when you need it!! The bricks will act as either spacers, or lay them out and use them as a ceramic level for indirect cooking. Much cheaper than buying all the other custom made stuff!! But remember, I'm a 'newbie'!! PS: Bricks are less than a buck each if you find some suburban hardware that caters to folk's that have fireplaces, or are in construction of new homes with fireplaces, stoves, whatnot.[p]Is there an Amish area around w/ a nearby Hardware?

• Smokin Bob
    Smokin Bob Posts: 239
    Options
    CJ,[p]You can certainly save a few dollars with the brick method however, many times I make pizza and then something else when I have guests. It becomes much easier to remove the single plate-setter rather than multiple brick when they are somewhere are 500 degrees, give or take a few degrees! The plate-setter also sits up at a higher level than the bricks did for me. This allowed me to use my pizza peel much easier...
  • CJ, thanks for the quick reply.

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,766
    Options
    2005012055.jpg
    <p />BruceW,
    i use fire bricks all the time. for inderect cooks where the bricks are placed between the fire and the meat to avoid burning. to lift the pizza stone so that it is flush with the opening (makes it easier to place and remove the pizza). and to raise the grill for cooking high in the dome. i dont own an xl, but it looks big enough to have an inderect setup on one side and a direct setup on the other. this is 2 pork butts sitting over a brisket, sitting over another brisket sitting on a rack with a pan, pizza stone, and some more firebricks under it.
    2005_0110Image0006.jpg
    jerky on a raised grill on firebricks

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • fishlessman, thanks a million..the pictures were worth a 1000 words

• J Straus
    J Straus Posts: 54
    Options
    fishlessman,[p]That jerky looks great! What temp and what time do you target for jerky?[p]Thanks,[p]Justin
  • fishlessman,[p]Quick question about the setup in your first photo. Does the grill temperature vary much between the bottom grill and the top grill in a multi-level setup like that? I'd think the top grill could be quite a bit hotter just using common sense and that may or may not be desirable depending on what you're cooking.[p](Sorry for odd question, I just ordered my large egg and am trying to figure a few things out.)[p]BigDave
  • Why1504
    Why1504 Posts: 277
    Options
    BruceW,[p]OK, First get a pair of welding gloves, you will want these everytime you cook. Next, run to walmart and get 3 pair of SS tongs. Then to the resturant supply for the widest spatula they have (the surface of mine is 4x6). Now I would suggest the egg pizza stone and a plate setter. I love my egg pizza stone and use it in the oven and on the grill. I use the plate setter all the time (I also have 4 firebricks and 2 full size grids). Also for your pizza get a super peel @ superpeel.com. Next I would thet the grid extender, the BGE version is not well liked here but I have Naked Whiz home brew and a BGE. I use the BGE for lite stuff and fish. I like it because it fits in the dishwasher. Of course the ash tool and grid lifter are must haves. Last is the BBQ Guru. Now there are 3 versions and the one you select needs to meet your needs but for low and slows I would not go without one (altough I did for 4 years). That is my list, I hope it helps.
  • fishlessman
    Options
    J Straus,
    i try for 145 degrees, it takes 7 to 12 hours depending on how many times the temp spikes up.

fukahwee maine

• fishlessman
    Options
    BigDave,
    actually with all the cold pork on the top like that the temps were cooler in the lid. it could of been how i was monitoring it though, there was not a lot of room for the thermometer. as the meat renders the fat it becomes smaller, and with this setup blocking the top vent a bit, you have to fiddle with the vents about every few hours to keep the proper temps for cooking.(this fiddling is not needed with the average cook)

fukahwee maine

• FNP,thanks that was helpful