Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Wokking Setup Question

This may be a dumb question, but is there a better setup for wokking on an XL than the Woo2 and 19" wok? I'd like to get a setup purchased soon and it seems like this would be the way to go. Are there any other tips or suggestions out there? Thanks in advance.
"Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA

Comments

• Stoater
    Stoater Posts: 292
    I have the spider a lump reducing ring that sits below it and a 20 " wok, works great.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Yours will look like this......

This is an XL - Woo - Wok setup.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Thanks, Doc. Getting ready to order!
    Does a lump reducer make it any better/safer? Or is it not a big deal?
    "Take yourself lightly, but what you do seriously." - M. Martin XL BGE - Johnston, IA
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    I wonder how may of the weight loss contestants will be wokking next couple months......eat better and still egg.......t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763
    @tjv second person I have heard to say that.  How is wokking healthy (question not a statement)?
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    r270ba said:
    @tjv second person I have heard to say that.  How is wokking healthy (question not a statement)?
    It's not, it's just a cooking technique. 

You can, however, use very little oil, and starches, except for rice, usually don't see the inside of a wok.
    Less meat and more veggies. Less fat used in cooking. More lean meat for faster cooking process.
  • I'm hoping it'll be a delicious way to get some veggies in me, and expand the little one's tasters. My wife has been wanting me to do this (wok) for awhile.
  • r270ba
    r270ba Posts: 763

r270ba said:
    It's not, it's just a cooking technique. 

You can, however, use very little oil, and starches, except for rice, usually don't see the inside of a wok.

Less meat and more veggies. Less fat used in cooking. More lean meat for faster cooking process.
    Cool Cool
    Anderson, SC
    XL BGE, Father's Day Gift 2012 (Thanks Fam!!!)
    Webber Kettle and Webber Summit Gasser
    Want List: Thermapen, Small BGE, Wok, Adjustable Rig, Food Saver, More $

• tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    more veggies and less stuff not good for you.......for example,  with steak, I'd wok sliced cabbage and forgo the loaded baked potato with butter and sour cream.....kinda like benihana cabbage.

t
    www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Thanks, Doc. Getting ready to order! Does a lump reducer make it any better/safer? Or is it not a big deal?
    I have a reducer, and it is not necessary.  For the wok you want a lot of heat everywhere.  For other cooks just pile lump in the middle or to one side.

I am about to post tonight's wok dinner
    :-*

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I like my wok heat concentrated at the bottom so I can use the wok like a hibachi and move stuff round.  That's just me, everything's good.
    I like my wok heat concentrated at the bottom so I can use the wok like a hibachi and move stuff round.  That's just me, everything's good.
    With all due respect to Doc, you do not want a wok hot everywhere. You want the heat on the bottom to be the hottest, and allowing it to cool as you move up the side. This allows you to move the food around. Nola has it right, that's why we use turkey burners, or crawfish burners if you are from the south. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Let me clarify.  You want hottest on the bottom, but still hot all around.  I like to have the wok down near the coals for heat in the center, but still have some red all around.

• Greeno55
    Greeno55 Posts: 635
    New to wokking and loving it so far. But I'm wondering if those of you who work with the spider, do you prefer to set it up with legs down, or legs up so the wok is closer to the coals?
    LBGE (2012), MiniMax (2014), and too many Eggcessories to list.  - Sudbury, Ontario
  • Well, looks like wokking has been put on hold for the moment as the CGStore is currently out of XL Woo2's. Bummer.