Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First T Rex Steak

Options
Uncle Collin
Uncle Collin Posts: 14
edited November -1 in EggHead Forum
I have had my BGE for 3 months now and last night I did my first T Rex style steak. I went to the local HEB store Monday looking for some B&B lump and got two 20 pound sacks. While there I crused by the meat counter and saw some beautiful prime rib eye steaks cut 1¼ inches thick and one of them just naturally jumped into my basket.
Yesterday afternoon I coated it with Char Crust and a little olive oil. I fired up the Egg and applied a forced draft to get a good hot fire with flames above the grid. I seared the steak for 2½ to 3 minutes per side and set it aside while I brougt the egg down to 300 degrees dome. I finished the steak about 15 minutes per side. It was a great steak but I need more practice. It was welll done and I prefer medium rare to medium, but with a little practice I will get that worked out. I have enjoyed reading this forum and have learned a lot and I thank all of you for sharing your experience and advice. As a result of your sugggestions I am keeping a detailed log of all my cooks from fire building to eating with notes on what went right and what went wrong.

Comments

• Moldy Coyote
    Options
    Uncle Collin,[p]Although Eggin' for over a year, I am still a rookie to most of the great cooks on this board. We do TRex steaks at least once a week. I do things a little differently, but have consistent perfect results.[p]First I rub the steaks with a quality Deli mustard, coat with a rub (Dizzy Pig, Char Crust, Montreal, whatever), then a good coating of EVOO.[p]Bring temp. to 700-750, sear (lid open) 30 seconds per 1/2" on each side. I never cook less than 1 1/2" steaks. Let rest 20 minutes, while getting Egg to 400. I then grill each side for 3 1/2 - 4 minutes. Produces a beautiful medium rare EVERY time.[p]HTH[p]David
  • guavawood
    guavawood Posts: 213
    Options
    Moldy Coyote,[p]Is it better to put the rub after the mustard or before? What's EVOO?[p]Aloha!
    Greg Kemp

• Mark Backer
    Mark Backer Posts: 1,018
    Options
    guava wood,[p]Put rub after mustard as mustard is the binding agent. [p]EVOO is extra virgin olive oil. [p]I like to use garlic infused olive oil for steaks. Really good stuff.[p]I t-rex at between 650-800 for 30 seconds per half inch per side, rest 20 minutes until BGE is down to 400, then it's about 3.5 to 4 minutes per side for medium/medium rare if the steak's 1.5 inches thick. [p]You have to play around to learn, but that is some mighty tasty lab work.[p]HTH
  • Moldy Coyote
    Options
    Greg,[p]I rub the mustard in real well first. Sorry for the abb. (extra virgin olive oil).[p]As we used to say at Subase Pearl (1968-70) "No Ka Oi!"[p]
    David

• mad max beyond eggdome
    Options
    Uncle Collin,
    as a t-rex devotee, i would like to offer you the following to help you get better results next time. .[p]first, the steak. ..1 1/4 inch is actually a little thin for the t-rex method. ...you should go for steaks at least 1 1/2 inches thick (i actually go for 2 inch thick). . .[p]the fire.. using the fan is great. ..you want the dome temp thermometer hitting 700+ degrees before doing the sear, but that means more than just flames. . .you want the coals to have achieved a nice lava look to them. ...[p]the sear. . .you should figure about 30 seconds per 1/2 inch of meat per side. ..so for your 1 1/4 inch steaks you should have seared for about 75 seconds per side. ..that's all. ...at 3 minutes per side, your steaks were probably done at the time you finished searing them. . .[p]the rest. ...let the steaks rest on a plate for a full 20 minutes after the sear . .. don't know why 20 minutes is the key, but t-rex says so, and i certainly swear by the results i've gotten. ..while the steaks are resting, close down the vents on the egg till you get to 400 degrees. . ..[p]the dwell. .. .for medium rare, figure only about 3 minutes per side for a steak of that thickness. .. even with 2 inch thick steaks that have been seared for 2 minutes per side. ..i find that about 7 - 8 minutes per side on the dwell will get me good medium rare results. . ..[p]keep on working on your trexing . ...i'm sure you'll be very happy with the results.....[p]

• Uncle Collin
    Options
    mad max beyond eggdome,
    Thank you for the suggestions, I appreciate the assistance. I thought that steak was a little thin but it was the thickest I have seen in the market and decided on the spur of the moment to try it. I have always said if you never make a mistake you never learn anything. I will compare my notes with your suggestions and go from there. By the time I have done five more I should be well on the way to consistant good results. Thanks again to all for everything.