Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

My homemade CyberQ Wifi

yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
So since I don't have a fancy CyberQ WiFi I decided to make a little utility that uses my computer's webcam to send picture messages of my maverick to my cell phone every 10 minutes or so. Decided to do a brisket tomorrow so now I can just run this and get updates on my phone. Saves me a few bucks and only took 10 minutes or so to do. Doesn't have any fancy bells or whistles, but I get what I need wherever I am.

This utility runs on the computer with the webcam pointing to the maverick

And this is what I get on my phone

What do you think?
Dunedin, FL
·

Comments

• BigWaderBigWader Posts: 572

Great work... check out what this guy has done with a DIY Cyber Q wifi... It seems like you may have the skills to actually build one...

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?22136-LinkMeter-v2-Homebrew-BBQ-Controller-Part-1

Large BGE

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    edited January 2013

BigWader said:

Great work... check out what this guy has done with a DIY Cyber Q wifi... It seems like you may have the skills to actually build one...

http://tvwbb.com/showthread.php?22136-LinkMeter-v2-Homebrew-BBQ-Controller-Part-1

That looks really interesting. I've priced out some parts a few weeks ago that I would use for trying an building my own, but I think I would have spent more than if I just bought the cyberq. Oh well. It may not have automatic temperature control (which I guess makes my title for the thread misleading), but at least I'll know when I need to go check on the grill.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·
    @yzzi up here in the snowy frozen, or raining and damp (this weekend) North - anything that helps not go outside is a blessing.

Large BGE

·
  • yzziyzzi Posts: 1,793
    I probably shouldn't tell you that my 10 day forecast is all upper 70's and 80's then.
    Dunedin, FL
    ·

yeah that's quite enviable.  I like the snow - I don't like the temp swings our winters have become.  This weekend 13'C (60F) and 1/2-1 inch of rain.  If that was snow - well I'd be hunkering down but still hard letting the dog out and cleaning paws all "winter" long because everything is mud.

Large BGE

·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,216
    Creative...love it.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • calikingcaliking Posts: 6,419
    Nifty. I have used the webcam on my laptop and an app called join me. Its basically a way to share screen views, so whatever my laptop monitor is showing, comes up on my phone's web browser. But I think I like your idea better. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
    ·