Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pork butt

Options
I've had a large egg for about a year but still have not cooked a pork butt. The plan is to try it this weekend. Does anyone have a link to the easiest to follow cooking instructions?

Comments

• michigan_jason
    Options
    Use the search feature. There are hundreds of posts.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity, and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options

Very simple and forgiving cook.

I rub down with mustard, then generous coat of favorite rub at the time. Cook indirect with drip pan at 250-275 (some will say higher temp for "turbo" butt) dome until 195 internal temp. Start checking for fork tender her. Sometimes cook until 200-205 internal depending on the butt. If bone-in the bone should slide out clean. I use apple wood for smoke and spritz with apple juice and apple cider vinegar every hour after the first 5 hours of not touching. Good luck and post pics.

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Do the search option. Everyone does it differently and they all seem turn out great. The common denominator is the Egg(and alcohol, apparently)

I rub it down the night before so it gets about 12 hours. I then rub it again right before I go out to start the Egg. I bring the egg to temp(250-275), then I leave it alone for 8-9 hours and do a temp check. Somewhere around 195-205, it starts to fall apart and the thermo goes in and out freely like butter. I have FTC'ed it and let it rest to cool enough to handle then pulled. I have had similar results with both.

I have also done the turbo-butt @ 350. It was great as well. Took around 4 or 5 hours.
    I don't spritz mine, and I did the mustard once. I couldn't tell any difference.