Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Indirect without platesetter

Options
I've seen a few posts where people say they do indirect cooks without the plate setter. Can any of you guys that do this post some instructions or some pictures of your set up?

Thanks!

Comments

• SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    One simple way is to use a foil pan with some kind of elevated grid on top.  Here is one example.  This is just a roasting rack I had in the drawer under my oven that happens to fit nicely over a half steam pan.  I have veggies in the pan.  To be honest, I think I did use the plate setter in this cook but you could set the pan on the grid and the chicken is cooking indirect. 

Here is another example on the small.  This is a half pizza stone (broken), some foil, and then a raised grid formed from a disposable grill topper.

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Some folks use the adjustable rig as shown in this link;

The rig is expensive for just an indirect raised set-up like the setter, but it does so much more and provides lots of flexible set-ups. 
    If you do a lot of indirect cooking, the setter is still a great, cost effective tool. I bought mine with my egg purchase, 1/2 price. Some feel it is not worth buying because the AR will provide the same result. Personally, I find the setter fast and easy to set up and to convert from indirect to direct for a reverse sear. Both are great tools. 
    I used the AR with a large Kamado Joe, but do not with my MBGE as it was not available. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    this is one of the most practical setups, buy a weber 18 inch grid and some fire brick splits, it will give you raised grid and if you lay 2 more bricks flat in the middle to cover the lower grid you have an inderect setup. its all i use at camp on my large.

or more complicated with a paella pan and extra grids, bricks etc, this all sits on a grid on the fire ring. anything you put between the fire and meat makes it indirect

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options

Lately I have been using a Woo with a pizza stone on the bottom rack. 

For smaller cooks I will push all the lump to one side of the XL and can cook either direct or indirect on the same grid.

I have also done poultry just using the bottom of the roaster, but that ended up making a mess on my nice cladware, so I put some other type of block in now. 

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Ragtop99
    Ragtop99 Posts: 1,570
    Options
    Before I got my Woo2 and stone, I put a tall v-rack in a shallow roasting pan.  On top of the v-rack I place a cooking grid from an old BBQ.  Putting the v-rack on a pizza stone instead of a roasting pan also worked when I tried that. 
    Cooking on an XL and Medium in Bethesda, MD.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Create a shadow for your food from the coals with something - voila - indirect.
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I'm doing a butt this weekend and I'm gonna give it shot without the platesetter.
  • OziEgg
    OziEgg Posts: 48
    Options
    ....or you can use a plate setter.