Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Foodsaver Question

Options
I know a number of you have mentioned that you buy in bulk from Costco/Sam's. my question is what is your process for sealing and freezing? Typically, I freeze the meat for a while before sealing width the Foodsaver. Otherwise, I feel like it sucks out all of the moisture and doesn't seal well. Is there another way to do without freezing first that I should try?
Clarendon Hills, IL

Comments

• BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have never thought of it i always just throw it in and vac and seal. i guess your way sounds like it is a much better way. i don't know if i am a big fan of putting raw meat unsealed in a freezer. but i guess it is much better than sucking all the juice out of it!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• BuckeyeBob
    Options
    Bente, I could definitely be over thinking this also. That's why I asked.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • BENTE
    BENTE Posts: 8,337
    Options
    i have never had that problem... :D

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

• Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Do you have a moist/dry option on your foodsaver? If its wet I use the moist function and works great. For really wet foods like a stuffing, stews and dumplings etc...I,will freeze for a 1/2 hr. or so to firm it up. I never have frozen meat before vacuum sealing.
  • NewEnglandEgger
    Options
    When you vac/seal your meat...is the Foodsaver actually drawing liquid out of the meat and up into the gasket area?
  • MikeP624
    MikeP624 Posts: 292
    Options
    is one model of foodsaver machine better than another.  Looking to purchase one soon.
  • BuckeyeBob
    Options
    NewEngland, yes that is what I ran into when I first got the FoodSaver so I went to the freeze first. I do think there is probably a better way to do.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
  • joe@bge
    joe@bge Posts: 394
    Options
    MikeP624 said:
    is one model of foodsaver machine better than another.  Looking to purchase one soon.
    Yes...I had a base model that just sealed and I recently upgraded to an "Automatic" model that automatically seals when you insert the bag and has the "moist/dry" settings.  Its very nice, but one can get by with a base model just fine.
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I have used the partial freeze method as well, especially for things like cooked pulled pork.  There is so much juice that runs into it I am afraid it won't seal well.  Another option to put roll up a paper towel to match the width of the bag and put inside to catch the juice on the way up.  For raw meat I haven't had to much issue- I just seal it.  However, I don't see a problem with the partial freeze.  It takes a while for any crystals to form so I think it is a fine method. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• bboulier
    bboulier Posts: 558
    Options

I have used the partial freeze method as well, especially for things like cooked pulled pork.  There is so much juice that runs into it I am afraid it won't seal well.  Another option to put roll up a paper towel to match the width of the bag and put inside to catch the juice on the way up.  For raw meat I haven't had to much issue- I just seal it.  However, I don't see a problem with the partial freeze.  It takes a while for any crystals to form so I think it is a fine method.

I also use the partial freeze method, although I have also occasionally used the paper towel barrier as well.

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)