Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Foodsaver Question

I know a number of you have mentioned that you buy in bulk from Costco/Sam's. my question is what is your process for sealing and freezing? Typically, I freeze the meat for a while before sealing width the Foodsaver. Otherwise, I feel like it sucks out all of the moisture and doesn't seal well. Is there another way to do without freezing first that I should try?
Clarendon Hills, IL
·

Comments

• BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    i have never thought of it i always just throw it in and vac and seal. i guess your way sounds like it is a much better way. i don't know if i am a big fan of putting raw meat unsealed in a freezer. but i guess it is much better than sucking all the juice out of it!!

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • Bente, I could definitely be over thinking this also. That's why I asked.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • BENTEBENTE Posts: 8,337
    i have never had that problem... :D

happy eggin

TB

Anderson S.C.

"Life is too short to be diplomatic. A man's friends shouldn't mind what he does or says- and those who are not his friends, well, the hell with them. They don't count."

Tyrus Raymond Cobb

·
  • BrowninggoldBrowninggold Posts: 453
    edited January 2013
    Do you have a moist/dry option on your foodsaver? If its wet I use the moist function and works great. For really wet foods like a stuffing, stews and dumplings etc...I,will freeze for a 1/2 hr. or so to firm it up. I never have frozen meat before vacuum sealing.
    ·
  • When you vac/seal your meat...is the Foodsaver actually drawing liquid out of the meat and up into the gasket area?
    ·
  • MikeP624MikeP624 Posts: 292
    is one model of foodsaver machine better than another.  Looking to purchase one soon.
    ·
  • NewEngland, yes that is what I ran into when I first got the FoodSaver so I went to the freeze first. I do think there is probably a better way to do.
    Clarendon Hills, IL
    ·
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
    MikeP624 said:
    is one model of foodsaver machine better than another.  Looking to purchase one soon.
    Yes...I had a base model that just sealed and I recently upgraded to an "Automatic" model that automatically seals when you insert the bag and has the "moist/dry" settings.  Its very nice, but one can get by with a base model just fine.

·
  • SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 6,892
    edited January 2013
    I have used the partial freeze method as well, especially for things like cooked pulled pork.  There is so much juice that runs into it I am afraid it won't seal well.  Another option to put roll up a paper towel to match the width of the bag and put inside to catch the juice on the way up.  For raw meat I haven't had to much issue- I just seal it.  However, I don't see a problem with the partial freeze.  It takes a while for any crystals to form so I think it is a fine method. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

·
  • bboulierbboulier Posts: 374

I have used the partial freeze method as well, especially for things like cooked pulled pork.  There is so much juice that runs into it I am afraid it won't seal well.  Another option to put roll up a paper towel to match the width of the bag and put inside to catch the juice on the way up.  For raw meat I haven't had to much issue- I just seal it.  However, I don't see a problem with the partial freeze.  It takes a while for any crystals to form so I think it is a fine method.

I also use the partial freeze method, although I have also occasionally used the paper towel barrier as well.

Weber Kettle, Weber Genesis Silver B, Medium Egg, KJ Classic (Black)
    ·