Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Smoking tofu

Options
jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
I know many of you will find this disgusting, but I'd like to smoke some firm tofu. Anyone try it and have tips?
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    edited January 2013
    Options

Why :-t  Not sure it is allowed on the Egg.

THIS IS A QUESTION FOR SUPER EGGER: VILLAGE IDIOT.....

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    :-&
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,754
    Options
    you could low and slow it til its dry at 145 dome, maybe for 24 hours, crumble it up, and pack it into a cigar.......then smoke it, i think that would be just as good as eating it
    :D
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • rustypotts
    Options
    This is interesting.  Tofu absorbs what ever flavor you throw at it.  My guess is that you might treat it like smoking cheese and let it rest for a week or so to let the flavor mellow a bit.  I don't know how long it would last refrigerated but I am assuming quite a while.  I would opt for a fruity smoke of some sort.  I would think that you could cold smoke it.  Some of you food police chime in on the health hazards of cold smoking.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Tofu is a meat substitute and it's smoked frequently.  You don't have to cold smoke it, you can hot smoke it too.  It won't melt. 

My tip is less smoke, more time is better than more smoke, less time.  And make sure the smoke smells delicious.