Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Turbo Baby Backs.....Im a Believer!

Ive always done low and slow on my Weber in the past, but after reading all about the turbo technique, I decided to give it a try on the egg.  I went indirect @350 dome temp with AR grid @ felt line.  Cooked with a homemade rub and homemade sauce for exactly 2 hours.  If they werent a 10, they were a 9.9.  I cant believe how juicy the meat was compared to my previous low and slow efforts. The ribs werent fall-off-the-bone, but they were very tender with a great texture and bite-off was near perfect as you can see in the picture.  Thanks to all of you who inspired me to try my new way of cooking ribs.

Shucker

Eastern North Carolina

Go Pirates!

Large & Mini Max Big Green Eggs

Comments

• MickeyMickey Posts: 16,504
    Ok very good. Next is turbo butt
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

• shuckershucker Posts: 328
    Did you foil at all?  When did you sauce?

no foil, I used a very thin, vinegar based sauce for basting when I flipped the ribs which was after 30 minutes, and then again after 1 hour.  At the 1.5 hour mark, I started applying the thicker, finishing sauce every 10 minutes or so.

Shucker

Eastern North Carolina

Go Pirates!

• AMEN...another one has seen the light!  Great job on the ribs.  Mickey's posts on turbo cooks got me to try turbo and I haven't looked back since.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • shuckershucker Posts: 328

they were baby backs.  the lid was not opened for more than 20 seconds at a time, so maybe my "turbo" fliipping and saucing had something to do with the lower cook time.

Shucker

Eastern North Carolina

Go Pirates!

• TD458TD458 Posts: 4
    Thanks for the info, I love tender, but not falling off the bone.
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 7,069
    Me thinks I need to try turbo someday...

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• SmokeyPittSmokeyPitt Posts: 7,075
    Very nice- the ribs look great.  I have tried a pseudo-turbo at the 300ish range and they turned out great.  I have also tried turbo butt however I'm not yet convinced on that one.  It was fine, but I still prefer an over-nighter. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• Griffin said:

But.........quicker cook means less drink, music, outdoor time, and "slaving' over the egg.  also means more time for honey do's and such.

GEAUX TIGERS!!!!!!!!!

• Griffin said:

But.........quicker cook means less drink, music, outdoor time, and "slaving' over the egg.  also means more time for honey do's and such.

+1

XLBGE 

• Griffin said:

Who said anybody needs to know?