Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s almost football season, so we’re perfecting our favorite tailgating and homegating recipes! Whether you like hamburgers, wings, brats, ribs or something cooked with beer, we have everything you’ll need for the perfect tailgate party. We always like inviting friends to join our tailgates because the EGG is about community and having fun, so make sure if you’re inviting company you make extra - the food will be gone before you know it! Don't forget dessert, either!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Freezing Pork Butt - Good or Bad

BigWaderBigWader Posts: 594

What's the consensus on freezing pork butt when on sale for using later on the egg?

Local stores are running adds now for the sausage makers (pork shoulder, pork leg) for making sausages/hams in the cold cellars.  Best price I've seen is $1/lb.

So can I load the freezer for later?

Large BGE

Comments

• Absolutely! That is an amazing price!
    Mark Annville, PA
  • Oh yeah. Sam's has a good price on them and they come in a two pack. I have one frozen as we speak. Give it a good day to defrost and rock and roll.
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,360
    bbrawler said:
    Oh yeah. Sam's has a good price on them and they come in a two pack. I have one frozen as we speak. Give it a good day to defrost and rock and roll.
    Or put it on frozen and give it a couple of hours extra

Steve 

Caledon, ON

• Lord i hope it's ok...I've been doing it with pork, ribs, chicken, beef for a year and a half now.  Except, I do vacuum seal everything, even left overs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Welcome to the Swamp.....GO GATORS!!!!
  • jbates67jbates67 Posts: 160
    No issue at all, have been doing this for years when I find a good deal, they're usually vacuum sealed and freeze just fine for up to a year. Naturally fresh is best but you should be just fine.

• I prefer fresh for making sausage, but when the sales are on I buy more and freeze.  Most people will never be able to tell the difference.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!