Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

MOLD INSIDE EGG

WAS WANTING TO SEE IF ANYONE HAS HAD PROBLEMS WITH MOLD GETTING INSIDE EGG. I HAVE NOTICED A COUPLE TIME AFTER EGG HAS BEEN SITTING THAT WHEN I GET READY FOR NEXT COOK I WILL HAVE MOLD ON COOKING GRATE. NO BIG DEAL I JUST HEAT UP AND CLEAN OFF. I KEEP MY EGG UNDER ITS COVER ALSO.
·

Comments

• MO_EgginMO_Eggin Posts: 130
    I haven't had this problem, but there a number of threads on the subject.  Fire up the egg to burn off the mold.  To prevent in the future, try keeping the lower vent open a small amount (or use your egg more often  ;) )
    LBGE, St. Louis, MO
    ·
  • I FOR SURE LIKE THE LAST OPTION BETTER. :D
    ·
  • Keep the lower vent cracked slightly, maybe 1/4" and put aluminum foil in between the rain cap and the egg itself.  This allows for some ventilation to enter the kamado. 
    ·
  • joe@bgejoe@bge Posts: 394
    As soon as the internal components get a good coating of grease from cooks, you won't see that mold anymore.   :D

·
  • Kill the all caps.
    XL, large and small. Hartwell GA on beautiful Lake Hartwell.
    ·
  • Little StevenLittle Steven Posts: 27,321
    I hate that you are able to get mold to grow at this time of year

Steve 

Caledon, ON

·
  • IrishDevlIrishDevl Posts: 1,390
    Greeks call this penicillin. All good.
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Burn off the leftover foodstuff for about 5 minutes after finishing a cook Carbon won't grow mold as easily as leftover pork drippings.
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 774
    Why do you think they call it a Big Green Egg? You didn't think it was just because of the outside color only did you. You know the drades should match the carpeting,right. But seriously,mine has never been uncooked on long enough for this to happen, but it doesn't snow here either. If you get it hot I'm sure it will kill everything.
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
  • U_tardedU_tarded Posts: 1,280
    pretty sure its ruined.  i am mold removal certified and i will take that moldy problem off your hands.  just kidding, but i think i read some where to leave the bottom vent slightly cracked so you get some airflow to help dry the insides.
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,082
    An apple a day keeps the doctor away. 

A fire, in each and every egg everyday will keep the mould at bay. 

There are rules and guidelines....
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·