Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Infrared thermometer

I have ordered a IR-GUN-S from Thermoworks to read the temp. on the stone for pizza.  Does anyone have this one and are you pleased with it?  Also, what should the reading be for the stone and what would the dome temp. be?  I have only cooked two or three store bought pizzas.  Any advice would be appreciated.  Thanks

Comments

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,669
    Spring Chicken seems to like his. Glad you posted this, thinking one would be nice.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    I bought one a couple of years ago, and have been delighted w. it.

Wetter doughs do better w. hotter stones. Most store bought pizza doughs I have used haven't done well on a stone above 600F. Pre-made pies burn much above 450. Really wet Neapolitan style doughs can easily take 900.

I'm typically doing pies w. the stone at 600. The dome is rarely that hot, more like 450 - 500. The stone absorbs lots of heat during the pre-heat. I try to keep the toppings light, because the crust tends to burn too much while thicker toppings are cooking.

I think you will have great fun w. the IR thermometer. I spent a few days measuring surface temperatures all over my house, and all around the inside of my 'fridge. I was surprised how much variation there was in wall temperature around the house. Found lots of energy loss places.