Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

32 Smoked Turkey Thighs

Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,156
edited January 2013 in EGGtoberfest
Basically a photo essay.  These are not for any specific meal, but get stripped and frozen in packs for a lot of our lunches when we are on the program.  Smoked turkey thighs and reheated veggies done on the Egg the night before for dinner.

Well marinated in teriyaki, and done indirect at 250 until the internal is 175.  Mesquite for smoke.

These were split between the XL and the LBGE.  I have cooked a couple of things on the LBGE lately that I had only done on the XL before.  It is interesting to note how it cooks differently.  Same carefully monitored temps and the LBGE was done 30 minutes before the XL.  Last night the pizza cooked differently as well.  I believe, in part, that when cooking indirect the LBGE has less room around the PS and/or stone and this makes a difference.  In each case the dome and Mavrick temps were the same as I would expect in the XL.

There are certain cooks I am just going to do on the XL because I like the way they turn out.

Working on a beef rib roast for separate report right nowl

Pasquali Luciano
Buon appetito to all the BGE family
XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·

Comments

• gorgeous doc. love the color

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,819
    Real nice job.
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 479
    Very nice. 

Doc, where do you get the turkey thighs?
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,156
    DMurf said:
    Very nice. 

Doc, where do you get the turkey thighs?
    Order them from the butcher at Publix.
    Pasquali Luciano

·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 479
    Don't have a Publix here but do have plenty of butchers. Thanks!
    David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
  • Wow, you must love turkey!

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·
    And here is the objective, smoked turkey for lunches.  In this case home smoked turkey over salad from our garden.
    Pasquali Luciano

·
  • GriffinGriffin Posts: 6,697
    makes me wish we could find turkey parts around here. great color on dem thighs, Doc.

Richardson, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

·
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 572
    Do you find the meat salty?  Especially when drinking so much selzer water on the program?

Large BGE

·
    Slow smoked turkey, that is well marinated in teriyaki tastes sweet, not salty.
    Pasquali Luciano

·
  • Real nice cook Doc!  The color on those thighs is terrific!

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 572
     Doc_Eggerton said:
    Slow smoked turkey, that is well marinated in teriyaki tastes sweet, not salty.
    Perfect thanks.  I like the idea of cooking in quantity and then portioning for later when trying to lose weight.  It takes much of the planning stress out.  Wanted to check if it was salty before I scale up some for me - although I won't jump in as big as you - 32 turkey thighs is a ton.

Large BGE

·