Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Suggestions for 1st cook

A good friend of mine just got a xl egg for Xmas being delivered on Wednesday he also ordered plate setter , and pizza stone and 3 bags of wicked good. He wants me to break him in on the 1st cook. I've been cookin on my large for about 2 yrs so I've cook a lot of different things. There's going to be about 10 people, I was gonna start with about 30 indirect wings, then sauce them half hot half garlic parm, then direct 600 degrees do 2 1/2" porterhouse steaks , and a couple of 3" bone in pork chops. Any other suggestions for 1st cook?
·

Comments

• GreenhawKGreenhawK Posts: 398
    I think a butt makes a great first cook.  It's very forgiving, is good for learning temp control, and I believe that the fat content helps season the Egg.  

I didn't cook anything but Butts for my first few cooks, and I still have my original gasket after 6 years.  I do mostly do low temp cooks, but I do my share of high temp steaks and chops as well.
    Large BGE Decatur, AL
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,596
    Abts are always a great app. Chicken quarters or spatchcocked.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
  • jscarfojscarfo Posts: 399
    I've done several pork butts probably my favorite cooks but I want to mix it up a little you can't beat a high temp cook for beef an pork. I kiwd my gasket on some good pizza cooks but my friend made me a stainless steel band with a hiq gasket on it that wraps around my egg and seals it tight for low an slow cooks keeps it at 250 easierimage
    image.jpg 1.8M
    ·
  • GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,462
    Rack of lamb is one of my favorites. ;;)
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • jscarfojscarfo Posts: 399
    Done both love ABT's I also do cherry peppers with a slice of garlic a then stuff them with loose sausage
    image.jpg 1.4M
    image.jpg 1.7M
    ·