Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How Do You Afford It?

jlsm
jlsm Posts: 1,011
I'm just amazed about some of the cooks. I see 2-inch porterhouses, rib roasts, tenderloins, and not just occasionally. I shop at a market with dozens of vendors, and I can get only prime there. Our grocery stores sell puny steaks. I don't have anything except a BJs close, and the last untrimmed tenderloin I checked there was $120. At Christmas, I priced a two-rib standing rib and it was $75! Tenderloin goes for $19 a pound. Skirt steak is $9, and flank is even $8. 

I'm not cheap and I'm not poor, but I just won't spend that type of money. We end up with sirloin, which I actually prefer in many ways. At $5.95 a pound for 1.25-inch steaks, we get at least two meals out of $13. I do have to say that the meat is excellent, but still. 

You guys get cheaper meat? I could join Costco and make the 40-minute trip once in a while if the store offers real value. 
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    See if there is a restaurant depot in your area.  many great deals there.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    my local meat market offers monthly packages. Usually a great deal. Pay like $100 and get a ton of stuff. They have set packages available, but I usually make a list of meals I plan to make and negotiate different cuts with the butcher. Great place. I find that when you buy here and there from the grocery store it is way more expensive.
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    i do tend to spend some money on a weekend cooks or holiday cooks, but i try really hard to keep the food costs down to 3 to 5 dollars a day during the week, doesnt happen every day but its my personal goal
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    For most of us it's an occasional cook, a splurge. But with so many of us on here you see the post regularly. The steaks I did yesterday were 2" Choice rib eyes. At $17/# it's more of an exception than rule. Usually I try to keep cost in check too
    Boom
  • travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    My local stuff is a little cheaper than what you report but I made the decision to not be skimpy on my food. I do the same thing with my bed. I spend a lot of time sleeping every day and I feel that is the last place to save money. As for food, it is what fuels my life and body. Plus it is very enjoyable to eat good.

The food is a large part of my budget but it is very enjoyable for me and my family.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • I'm with Travis.  Food is what fuels my body.  Would you put regular gas in a Lamborghini?

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

• Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    Regarding Restaurant Depot, I don't have a resale certificate or biz license. Advice on how to get around this posted requirement?

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
    Raymont said:
    Regarding Restaurant Depot, I don't have a resale certificate or biz license. Advice on how to get around this posted requirement?

join the KC BBQ club or whatever it is called
    Boom
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    it used to be if you're a KCBS member, that membership let you shop there...not sure if that is the case anymore.
  • My wife's family raises competition cattle. After one has done its time or doesn't make the cut, we butcher them and split em up. It's about 700$ for a whole cow.

Like others said, I'll have a big cook here and there but it's a splurge, something I've planned and get all excited about. We don't eat fillet and prime rib every night ;)

Def way to go is try and find a good butcher or farmer.

XLBGE 
  • I'm with Travis.  Food is what fuels my body.  Would you put regular gas in a Lamborghini?

Lol, are you comparing your body to a lambo??

XLBGE 
  • Austin  Egghead
    Austin Egghead Posts: 3,966
    edited January 2013
    +1 to both Travis and VI.  
    When we do a cook there is also a plans for leftovers.  If I post a ribeye that is 2+inches thick whatever is not consumed will become part of future meals. So if I spend $20.00 on a steak and I get three meals the initial cost was not so bad.

Buy in bulk when you can.  It might seem more expensive in the short term, but you can butcher to your needs, thereby saving money in the long run.  

Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • My body used to be like a Lamborghini but now it is more like a rusted out 1969 VW beetle with a flat tire.
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Food is definitely the biggest number in our monthly budget.
    But, it's what makes me happy.  I get $12 haircuts and buy $9 jeans so I can afford $100 dinners.  ;) True story.
    My kind of girl!

Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,671
    theres lots of inexpensive high end cooks as well, the wok cooks for instance, the first few cooks cost alot because your filling the pantry with all the different sauces, then its fairly cheap, a pound of chicken, a half pound of shrimp, some veggies or even a cheap bag of frozen veggies for any time you need them
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Raymont
    Raymont Posts: 710
    I searched both Restaurant Depot and KC BBQ site ($35 to join). No mention of Restaurant Depot access. With my annual meat budget, it's their loss I guess..  I've got a nearby Costco and am already a member, but I was interested in seeing if meat/fish was better quality at RD.

Small & Large BGE

Nashville, TN

• My Lamborghini has an extra large additional fuel tank going right now (see weight loss challenge) :-S
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Raymont said:
    some stores will give you a one day guest pass if you pay cash.  Check with management
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    For holiday meals, I do drive 20 - 40 miles one way just to get really good meats. Or do something really insane, like mail order from 900 miles away.

Buying in bulk helps, if there is freezer space. And, select grade beef turns as tender as can be after a few days in an SV bath.

And then there's thing called "the Egg." $1.79/lb pork butts turn into ambrosia, compared to pre-made mediocre stuff that sells for about .60/oz.
  • With a KCBS membership you can get a Restaurant Depot card......some meats are a little less money others are about the same as Costco....I use RD because the have more of a variety and some meats I cannot get elsewhere......I buy my bone in pork butts and pork ribs from Costco, less than RD most of the time.....I only use choice beef and I like to buy my choice Angus briskets from RD....unfortunately, good choice steaks are not cheap
  • lilwooty
    lilwooty Posts: 215
    After I started losing my hair, all the money I spent on combs, shampoo and conditioner and haircuts, now goes toward meat.  Bald is beautiful.

Living Large and XL

• Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,024
    Chubbs...what meat market do you use? I've been looking for a good one. The Happy Butcher in Lex is good, but he is pricey.
  • Plano_JJ
    Plano_JJ Posts: 448

Compare the cost of going out to eat to the cost of cooking a good piece of meat at home on the egg. Its staggering. I can routinely feed my family of four and my inlaws on anywhere from $40-60 worth of good meat. Plus,most everyone in my family cooks so there is always plenty of sides and salads to go with everything. I dont even like to go out to eat anymore. Its unhealthy and expensive.

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Raymont said:
    some stores will give you a one day guest pass if you pay cash.  Check with management
    I called up the local Restaurant Depot and they wouldn't even let me tour the store without a membership.  They did say they honor the agreement with the KC BBQ club.  Do they have a good selection of meat?  I'm especially interested in non-local IQF fish (I can get all the gulf stuff fresh anywhere).
    Why in bob's name would you want some non local IQF fish? Thats all I buy here in Central Texas but when I am back home, fresh it is. Normally caught by yours truly. 
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    not really worth it nola for seafoood...pretty much everything is sold pre portioned by the case. meat selection is great if you're looking for large whole cuts and sub primals...its not the place to go pick up a couple steaks...this place make the amounts you buy at sam's/costco look tiny.
  • ccpoulin1
    ccpoulin1 Posts: 390
    edited January 2013
    Raymont said:
    I searched both Restaurant Depot and KC BBQ site ($35 to join). No mention of Restaurant Depot access. With my annual meat budget, it's their loss I guess..  I've got a nearby Costco and am already a member, but I was interested in seeing if meat/fish was better quality at RD.
    Do you work for a business??  If so, you should be able to open an account with a copy of your businesses tax resale certificate or business license.  It is COD anyway, just clear it with your boss.  That is how i got mine.  I got an extra card so the employees can use it if they want to go

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

• mangasb
    mangasb Posts: 14
    I'm with Travis.  Food is what fuels my body.  Would you put regular gas in a Lamborghini?
    Lol, are you comparing your body to a lambo??
    Well said.