Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bacon Wrapped Mini-Potatoes

Not sure if these have been done before and if they have a name. Sorry if so. If not, I'm not sure what to call them except very good.

I love ABT but with the lil-smokie and cream cheese with the bacon, I don't make them too often. I saw some mini-red potatoes at the store. I thought that would be good filler without being so bad for me. I did these as raw potatoes, wrapped and cooked in direct at 325° for 1 hour. The last 15 minutes I added a little BBQ sauce.image

Big Lake, Minnesota

2X Large BGE, 1 Mini Max, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Those look fantastic!  Great idea.
  • AltonAlton Posts: 442
    That looks awesome
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 1,019
    Thanks. I think I'll try cooking the potatoes first and then wrap with steak slices next time.

Big Lake, Minnesota

·
  • That gives "baked potatoes" a whole new meaning.  Now, just sprinkle sour cream, chives, and butter on them and you've got something !!!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,467
    BIG GUY potatoes are born.....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Great idea.  I'm doing some tonight.
    ·
  • Darn great idea.  Will be doing that with the next batch of fingerlings 
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 7,135
    What a great idea, Often have wrapped whole water chestnuts using the same process, but never thought of using nugget taters. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 685
    Looks incredible. I'm a noob here. Three weeks into Eggdom. What type of grate is that?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
  • tays44tays44 Posts: 93
    Wow that's awesome.  So you didn't soak the potatos or anything before putting on egg?  Did they come out fork tender after the hour?
    - EAT BEEF -
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 16,467
    GQuiz said:
    Looks incredible. I'm a noob here. Three weeks into Eggdom. What type of grate is that?

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max (I'm good for now). 

·
  • Another great idea from the Egghead forum. This one goes into my cook's to do notebook. Thanks

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • Looks indirect with the foil under the spuds.
    ·
    tays44 said:

Wow that's awesome.  So you didn't soak the potatos or anything before putting on egg?  Did they come out fork tender after the hour?

No. I didn't even wash the potatoes. I'm going to make some stainless wire tooth picks because the wood toothpicks didn't want to go in.

Big Lake, Minnesota

·
  • Hey, these are seriously good.  Almost addictive...I'm fixing them about every night.  I used little red potatoes and yukon gold, both work well. Just picked up another pound of bacon, more tonight.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 14,564
    Nice....great idea.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    I made some stainless steel tooth picks. I will be doing a batch soon and I'll see how they work.

Big Lake, Minnesota

·
  • I think I may have to enter a 12 step program. I've been fixing these things almost every night. Ok, decision made. Not fixing bacon wrapped baby potatoes tonight. Well, maybe. Not sure. I think they may go great with the beef back ribs that are already on.
    ·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 774

Bigguy136,

I love this quote:  "I saw some mini-red potatoes at the store. I thought that would be good filler without being so bad for me." so you wrapped them in bacon? They look great and I'll definetly try them. Here's some suggestions for a name: Taterpigs,  baconspuds, little red piggys, bacon tots. It was your great idea you should give them a name.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
    I guess not so healty with the bacon. If it wasn't way below freezing, I could start making some. Another month and I can get to my BGE.
    I love all the names. My favorite is little red piggys but I'm good with any name.

Big Lake, Minnesota

·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 774
    I kinda like taterpigs myself but little red piggys it is. good call
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·