Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope you had a hoppy Easter and are ready to spring into warm weather cooking mode! There’s nothing better than spending time outdoors with the sweet aroma of fresh cooked Ribs. Baseball season is also underway, so it's the perfect time to try out some chicken wing variations! We have Jamaican Jerk, Lemon Pepper, Fired-Up Wings and even a Whiskey Onion and Chicken Steak if wings aren't your thing. Bon appetit!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Cast Iron Grates

I got some cast iron grates for Christmas and I'm looking for tips and ideas on how to use them.

Thanks.

·

Comments

• What grates did ya get?  Many different kinds.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

We invented the U.A.W. and carjacking!

·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,572
    And did you get cast iron grids? Anyway, heat 'em up and sear some steak or chicken or chops, almost anything except brats.....
    Good luck.
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • They are the Half Moon Griddles. Sorry for the confusion.
    ·
  • I have a SS plate I cook fish, nachos, bacon, eggs and pancakes on.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

·
  • NDGNDG Posts: 1,157
    I just got my cast iron grate through BGE for large. Do most ppl use it with the flat portion touching the meat or with the pointed portion touching the meat? To clarify, the cast iron grid has different design on bottom from top, what is recommended?
    Columbus, Ohio
    ·
  • EggRacerEggRacer Posts: 400
    I use mine flat side to the flame and meat on the pointed side.
    XLBGE & LBGE
    North Richland Hills, TX
    ·
  • MillsyMillsy Posts: 104
    Check out this one.You can change them and still have access to your fire.
    ·
  • fishlessmanfishlessman Posts: 16,742
    NDG said:
    I just got my cast iron grate through BGE for large. Do most ppl use it with the flat portion touching the meat or with the pointed portion touching the meat? To clarify, the cast iron grid has different design on bottom from top, what is recommended?
    bothe sides work the flat gives more char, the pointy makes for a more delicate grill line, i cook on the flat for burgers, steaks on the pointy side
    ·
  • ccpoulin1ccpoulin1 Posts: 386
    Millsy said:
    I have this for the XL, it is 4 sections.  Bought through Amazon.  I think the company name was Craycort.  They work fine, though i do not use them as much as i thought i would

"You are who you are when nobody is looking"

·
  • MillsyMillsy Posts: 104
    ccpoulin1 said:
    Millsy said:
    I have this for the XL, it is 4 sections.  Bought through Amazon.  I think the company name was Craycort.  They work fine, though i do not use them as much as i thought i would
    Yes I thought I would use it more too.Santa brought it last year for me .I dont use the grittle much at all. I tried it for bacon and burgers once
    ·
  • Sorry, I thought you said you had a griddle. A flat surface piece of CI. I guess I have no idea what you have.

·
  • hogsfanhogsfan Posts: 128
    edited January 2013
    ·
  • bettysnephewbettysnephew Posts: 874
    edited January 2013
    I have the BGE CI grates for my XL.  I use them tapered side up for steaks and the flat side works great for burgers and meatloaf.  The ground meat doesn't fall through the flat side so easily.
    See der Rabbits, Iowa
    ·
  • DuganboyDuganboy Posts: 1,118
    NDG said:
    The flat side up is a griddle.
    ·
  • esddesdd Posts: 44
    I bought CI from BGE for both my large and small eggs. I feel that the added mass helps keep the temps more stable. I use them for everything, I now have not used the wire grates for anything since the cast iorn came along. I cook steak, chicken, etc with the narrow side up, I use the flat side for most all other cooks.
    ·
  • SmokinDAWG82SmokinDAWG82 Posts: 1,704
    Duganboy said:
    The flat side up is a griddle.
    He's talking about the CI Cooking grip from BGE, Not the griddle. The cooking grid is a series of triangles. In the up position the tops of the triangles give you Small Grill marks flipped over you get the bottom of the triangle about 3/8" wide so you get wider grill marks
    LBGE
    Go Dawgs! - Marietta, GA
    ·