Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It’s time to kick back, relax and enjoy the aromas of fresh smoked meat as we sail towards summer. Not sure what to smoke? Try Down & Dizzy Pork Shoulder or Smoked Spanish Chicken. Now that Spring is in the air, it's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

How Do You Afford It?

I'm just amazed about some of the cooks. I see 2-inch porterhouses, rib roasts, tenderloins, and not just occasionally. I shop at a market with dozens of vendors, and I can get only prime there. Our grocery stores sell puny steaks. I don't have anything except a BJs close, and the last untrimmed tenderloin I checked there was $120. At Christmas, I priced a two-rib standing rib and it was $75! Tenderloin goes for $19 a pound. Skirt steak is $9, and flank is even $8. 

I'm not cheap and I'm not poor, but I just won't spend that type of money. We end up with sirloin, which I actually prefer in many ways. At $5.95 a pound for 1.25-inch steaks, we get at least two meals out of $13. I do have to say that the meat is excellent, but still. 

You guys get cheaper meat? I could join Costco and make the 40-minute trip once in a while if the store offers real value. 
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments