Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

How Do You Afford It?

I'm just amazed about some of the cooks. I see 2-inch porterhouses, rib roasts, tenderloins, and not just occasionally. I shop at a market with dozens of vendors, and I can get only prime there. Our grocery stores sell puny steaks. I don't have anything except a BJs close, and the last untrimmed tenderloin I checked there was $120. At Christmas, I priced a two-rib standing rib and it was $75! Tenderloin goes for $19 a pound. Skirt steak is $9, and flank is even $8. 

I'm not cheap and I'm not poor, but I just won't spend that type of money. We end up with sirloin, which I actually prefer in many ways. At $5.95 a pound for 1.25-inch steaks, we get at least two meals out of $13. I do have to say that the meat is excellent, but still. 

You guys get cheaper meat? I could join Costco and make the 40-minute trip once in a while if the store offers real value. 
Owner of a large and a beloved mini in Philadelphia

Comments