Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Cold Smoked Cheese...

Options
Today was the test run cold smoking using a dryer vent hose to connect the small and large BGE in advance of bacon next week. Did some cheddar, mozzarella, and gouda. had the small at 325-350 and the large never got above ambient temp of 45-48*. the vent hose was warm to the touch for the first 2 feet or so where it connected to the small's top vent but not any closer to the large so I never had any concern or the large heating up.imageimageimage I'll leave these to mellow for a few weeks. I'm glad the set-up works...I have some salmon curing for a Tuesday cold smoke and bacon for the weekend...Life is good!

Comments

• Alton
    Alton Posts: 509
    Options
    Very cool :-c
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
  • Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    yeah, peach wood for smoke....sorry forgot in OP.
  • jeroldharter
    Options
    The Amaz-N-Smoker is much easier. My friend made his own cold smoke tube out of a rectangle of chicken wire that he coiled around itself for a double thickness with the holes offset from one another to make the effective pores smaller. He twisted the loose, cut ends of the wire around the openings to secure the shape. Then he cut a circle shape of chicken wire to the diameter of the opening and jammed it into one end to act as a stopper. Then fill with pellets and you have a cheap cold smoker that will run for hours.
  • Browninggold
    Browninggold Posts: 453
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Just a question...couldn't you connect the hose to the top vent of the Large and let the smoke escape out of the bottom? Hose may be easier to connect IDK. Could just connect a regular dryer vent clamp to the Lge. Vent and hose.
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    Very cool! Good luck on the salmon and bacon. I'll be watching for it.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• Mighty_Quinn
    Mighty_Quinn Posts: 1,878
    Options
    Just a question...couldn't you connect the hose to the top vent of the Large and let the smoke escape out of the bottom? Hose may be easier to connect IDK. Could just connect a regular dryer vent clamp to the Lge. Vent and hose.

probably, and I thought about that, but I felt in the long run I'd get a better draft flowing out of the bigger (top) opening than the bottom...could be that it doesn't matter though.
  • Village Idiot
    Options
    I just ordered an Amaz-N-Smoker.  Thanks @jeroldharter (I think).

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Just west of Austintatious