Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
With winter in full gear, we’re enjoying all the awesome photos of EGGs in the cold weather. Stay warm with some of our favorite Dutch oven recipes: Chicken & Dumplings, Chili Con Carne and BLT Soup.

The Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new location and check out the museum! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Bacon Wrapped Mini-Potatoes

Not sure if these have been done before and if they have a name. Sorry if so. If not, I'm not sure what to call them except very good.

I love ABT but with the lil-smokie and cream cheese with the bacon, I don't make them too often. I saw some mini-red potatoes at the store. I thought that would be good filler without being so bad for me. I did these as raw potatoes, wrapped and cooked in direct at 325° for 1 hour. The last 15 minutes I added a little BBQ sauce.image

Big Lake, Minnesota

Large BGE, Stokers, Adjustable Rig

·

Comments

• TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,409
    Those look fantastic!  Great idea.
  • AltonAlton Posts: 431
    That looks awesome
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
  • bigguy136bigguy136 Posts: 901
    Thanks. I think I'll try cooking the potatoes first and then wrap with steak slices next time.

Big Lake, Minnesota

·
  • That gives "baked potatoes" a whole new meaning.  Now, just sprinkle sour cream, chives, and butter on them and you've got something !!!!!

Dripping Springs, Texas.
    Gateway to the Hill Country

·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,816
    BIG GUY potatoes are born.....
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • Great idea.  I'm doing some tonight.
    ·
  • Darn great idea.  Will be doing that with the next batch of fingerlings 
    Eggin in SW "Keep it Weird" TX
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,295
    What a great idea, Often have wrapped whole water chestnuts using the same process, but never thought of using nugget taters. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • GQuizGQuiz Posts: 680
    Looks incredible. I'm a noob here. Three weeks into Eggdom. What type of grate is that?

XL BGE; Schertz TX by way of Stow OH. #egghead4life
    ·
  • tays44tays44 Posts: 84
    Wow that's awesome.  So you didn't soak the potatos or anything before putting on egg?  Did they come out fork tender after the hour?
    - EAT BEEF -
    ·
  • MickeyMickey Posts: 15,816
    GQuiz said:
    Looks incredible. I'm a noob here. Three weeks into Eggdom. What type of grate is that?

http://ceramicgrillstore.com/
    Salado TX Egg Family: 2 Large and a very well used Mini, just added a Mini Max +++ 5th Salado EggFest is March 14, 2015 http://saladoeggheadgathering.blogspot.com

·
  • Another great idea from the Egghead forum. This one goes into my cook's to do notebook. Thanks

Alexander City,Al
    ·
  • Looks indirect with the foil under the spuds.
    ·
    tays44 said:

Wow that's awesome.  So you didn't soak the potatos or anything before putting on egg?  Did they come out fork tender after the hour?

No. I didn't even wash the potatoes. I'm going to make some stainless wire tooth picks because the wood toothpicks didn't want to go in.

Big Lake, Minnesota

·
  • Hey, these are seriously good.  Almost addictive...I'm fixing them about every night.  I used little red potatoes and yukon gold, both work well. Just picked up another pound of bacon, more tonight.
    ·
  • henapplehenapple Posts: 13,251
    Nice....great idea.
    Green egg, dead animal and alcohol. The "Boro".. TN 
    ·
    I made some stainless steel tooth picks. I will be doing a batch soon and I'll see how they work.

Big Lake, Minnesota

·
  • I think I may have to enter a 12 step program. I've been fixing these things almost every night. Ok, decision made. Not fixing bacon wrapped baby potatoes tonight. Well, maybe. Not sure. I think they may go great with the beef back ribs that are already on.
    ·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 754

Bigguy136,

I love this quote:  "I saw some mini-red potatoes at the store. I thought that would be good filler without being so bad for me." so you wrapped them in bacon? They look great and I'll definetly try them. Here's some suggestions for a name: Taterpigs,  baconspuds, little red piggys, bacon tots. It was your great idea you should give them a name.

XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·
    I guess not so healty with the bacon. If it wasn't way below freezing, I could start making some. Another month and I can get to my BGE.
    I love all the names. My favorite is little red piggys but I'm good with any name.

Big Lake, Minnesota

·
  • td66snrftd66snrf Posts: 754
    I kinda like taterpigs myself but little red piggys it is. good call
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
    ·