Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Canadian Bacon curing time - Ruhlman time or longer?

BigWaderBigWader Posts: 588

I realize this is maybe a poor time to ask - since I've already had the loins in the brine for 3 days while Ruhlman's recipe says to only do it for 48 hours but I read a different recipe at "Smoking Meat Forums" that recommended letting the loins cure 7 days in brine. 

I looked at the loins today and they've firmed up quite a bit - but this is my first time making Canadian Bacon so I'm sure exactly how they should feel or if I should trust 48 hours (or longer) and prepare to cold smoke. 

As it stands now - I'm planning to pull Thursday night (7 days) soak in water for 1 hr (changing 2x the water) and then drying in fridge until Friday night when I'll cold smoke overnight.

Any experienced Canadian Baconners with some advice?

Large BGE

·

Comments

• GrannyX4GrannyX4 Posts: 1,458
    I have made that recipe and it was OK but I will be making Dizzy Pig's (http://dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBacon.html) next and it brines for 5 to 7 days.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    I did a couple of 3 - 4 pound loins over Christmas using Ruhlman's, brining for 48 hours. Soaked in water for an hour, then smoked. Turned out very good, but a bit salty for my taste (rest of family loved them). Next time I'll soak in water a bit longer. Added a few cloves to the brine which gave a nice flavor.
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 588
    I'm not sure about how the saltiness will be.  I "cheated" and used a brine mix that I got at William Sonoma - after the holidays for $3.95 instead of $24 regular price.  It is a mix of dried apple, thyme, rosemary, bay, juniper berries, star anise, garlic, onion.  It didn't have sugar so I added 1/2 cup according to Ruhlman.

Large BGE

·