Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Canadian Bacon curing time - Ruhlman time or longer?

BigWader
BigWader Posts: 673

I realize this is maybe a poor time to ask - since I've already had the loins in the brine for 3 days while Ruhlman's recipe says to only do it for 48 hours but I read a different recipe at "Smoking Meat Forums" that recommended letting the loins cure 7 days in brine. 

I looked at the loins today and they've firmed up quite a bit - but this is my first time making Canadian Bacon so I'm sure exactly how they should feel or if I should trust 48 hours (or longer) and prepare to cold smoke. 

As it stands now - I'm planning to pull Thursday night (7 days) soak in water for 1 hr (changing 2x the water) and then drying in fridge until Friday night when I'll cold smoke overnight.

Any experienced Canadian Baconners with some advice?

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE

Comments

• GrannyX4
    GrannyX4 Posts: 1,491
    I have made that recipe and it was OK but I will be making Dizzy Pig's (http://dizzypigbbq.com/recipesBacon.html) next and it brines for 5 to 7 days.
    Every day is a bonus day and every meal is a banquet in Winter Springs, Fl !
  • Tjcoley
    Tjcoley Posts: 3,551
    I did a couple of 3 - 4 pound loins over Christmas using Ruhlman's, brining for 48 hours. Soaked in water for an hour, then smoked. Turned out very good, but a bit salty for my taste (rest of family loved them). Next time I'll soak in water a bit longer. Added a few cloves to the brine which gave a nice flavor.
    BigWader Posts: 673
    I'm not sure about how the saltiness will be.  I "cheated" and used a brine mix that I got at William Sonoma - after the holidays for $3.95 instead of $24 regular price.  It is a mix of dried apple, thyme, rosemary, bay, juniper berries, star anise, garlic, onion.  It didn't have sugar so I added 1/2 cup according to Ruhlman.

Toronto, Canada

Large BGE, Small BGE