Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
It doesn’t get much hotter than the EGG cookin’ in July! Make sure to keep yourself hydrated with a bit of whatever you’re using for the Beer Can Chicken. Ice Cream Sandwiches are also a great way to stay cool. Looking for some great ideas for a summer cook out? Try out a Pimento Cheeseburger or Dr. BBQ’s Spare Rib Surprise. Just don’t be surprised if your neighbors stop by for a quick bite when they smell what you’re cooking!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Question about pork butt

Hey guys..quick question. I have had a pork butt on since 8:45 this morning so going on 7 1/2 hrs...my temp is still sitting at 95 degrees...is this normal? I thought by now the temp would be up quite a bit higher than that. Sorry if it seems like a stupid questions...1st butt I have done
·

Comments

• The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,690
    edited January 2013
    that ain't right. What is your pit temp? are you sure your thermos are calibrated? And how much does your butt weigh....(that is a very strange question from a stranger but just go with it)

·
  • KWMKWM Posts: 8
    Im an idiot and was reading the thermo on celsius...guess I need to quit paying attention to the football game and more on the food!

·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,581
    Agree. That seems impossible if there is any kind of fire at all in your Egg.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
    What temp should I pull...some spots are 200 and the middle is around 185
    ·
  • Hi54puttyHi54putty Posts: 1,581
    I pull around 200 internal.
    XL,L,S 
    Winston-Salem, NC 
    ·
  • if it's a bone in butt, pull when the bone wiggles freely. If it's boneless, when it's probe tender all over. 195-205 is the most traditional temp range for that to occur

·
    Thanks guys...appreciate the info!!
    ·
  • Besides pulling at a certain temperature, you can also go by feel. A temp probe should slide in and out with ease, or as some say, like a knife through hot butter. Each butt may be ready at different temperatures, but it'll normally be around 195-205.
    ·
  • pgprescottpgprescott Posts: 1,652
    I would be very concerned about the safety of a piece of meat that was 95 degrees for who knows how long. I hope everything turns out ok.
    ·
  • Dont feel bad. The same thing happened to me. My daughter was playing with my thermometer right before I used mine when I was cooking my first boston butt and switched the display form Farenheit to Celsius.
    ·
  • Most of the connective tissue is broken down at 195 and will fall apart easily.

Simple ingredients, amazing results!
    ·