Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re feeling pretty super, how about you? The big game is fast approaching, and while we love football, we love an excuse to invite people over and cook even more! You too can cook like a champion with recipes from Dr. BBQ’s NFL Gameday Cookbook: Grilled Tuna Sandwiches from Seattle and Baked Brie from New England. Who’s going to win? You’ll have to cook both to find out.

The 17th Annual EGGtoberfest was amazing - here are the highlights Click Here

Elk burgers with crunchy Jo-Jo egged potato's-

allsidallsid Posts: 381
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Peeking out the back door today and found this feller dangerously close to my egg.  

I am not much of a Venison man myself, but it did inspire me to defrost some Elk burger and make an old standby favorite... Cheeseburgers! 

Wanting to jazz up the dish a bit I had the idea to coat some thick cut taters with a combination of spices and cornstarch with thoughts of a crunchy fried type texture.  

Scrubbed up and prepped a few spuds-

Seasoned first and tossed, then added some cornstarch 

Roasted on the egg before I cooked the burgers-image

Elk burgers came out great and were topped with some Cabot cheddar cheese.  Potato's were fantastic, but next time I will go with a little less corn starch.  They crisped up nicely with a great crunch...  Just like fried, but done outside!

Thanks for looking!
·

Comments

• Those potatoes look amazing 
    ·
  • WolfpackWolfpack Posts: 1,252
    She must know the seasons over-
    Greensboro, NC
    ·

• =P~ Oh my gosh.  That's my kind of meal right there. 
    I'm Kristi ~ Live in FL ~ BGE since 2003.
    I write about food & travel on Necessary Indulgences -
    You can find me on Facebook & Instagram, too! 
    ·
  • Excellent.  I did some elk ribeyes a few months ago.  As I remember it was direct at 400 for 60 seconds, flip for 60 seconds then shut off the air for 60 seconds and remove.  Excellent.

Ernie McClain

Scottsbluff, Nebraska

(in the extreme western panhandle of NE)

·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 381
    hapster said:
    Looks awesome!!! Picked up some bison today, going to have to add elk to the list
    I was on a lean protein diet a while back only allowing beef once a week and bison became my red meat staple for about half a year.  I almost forgot about it until you mentioned it.  It has sparked my motivation to get back on the Bison bandwagon!
    ·
  • BigWaderBigWader Posts: 549
    Love the look of those potatoes.  Definitely going to try

Large BGE

·
  • looks like an amazing dinner!

how long did you cook the taters?

Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
    ·
  • hapster said:
    Looks awesome!!! Picked up some bison today, going to have to add elk to the list
    be careful, elk has a way of ending up on top of the list every time
    Barbecue may not be what brings world peace, but it has to be a good place to start -Anthony Bourdain 
    ·
  • allsidallsid Posts: 381
    looks like an amazing dinner!

how long did you cook the taters?

I hate to respond with "until done", but I would say they went about 35 min or so.  The ones on the half moon cooked at a different speed than the ones on the pan.  I have made them again and I would say roasting, or baking at burger temp.  Like other bite sized items, they are a good one to taste as you cook them so make a few extra for the sake of quality control!
    ·