Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Prime Rib Question

Options
Going to do a prime rib. We had prime rib for Christmas which I did in the oven. Did it at 250 on surround roast then a sear on the egg since it was hot already. They were beautifully browned already so I'm not sure I needed the sear, but did it anyway. I did a prime on the egg in the past and it took on what i felt to be an unpleasant smoke flavor. I did it at 250-275 and dd not use much wood. Did I do something wrong or does a prime pick up lots of smoke flavor easily? Maybe I didn't let the fire go long enough before starting my cook, or maybe a prime in the egg is just not for me. I have been afraid to try again because I hate to ruin a beautiful piece of beef that I know will come out great from my overpriced but very nice Miele oven.
George

Comments

• mimauler
    mimauler Posts: 136
    Options
    Last one I did was indirect, plate setter until 120 and then took of for several minutes until egg got up to 500 which I then seared.  I believe that I put on one large chunk of apple.
  • DMurf
    DMurf Posts: 481
    Options
    On my last Prime Rib cook I used three chunks of Hickory and that was probably about 2.5 more than I needed. The Meat was delicious it just had an undercurrent of the smoke running through it. I will use less next time for my own personal taste.

David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
  • Shiff
    Shiff Posts: 1,835
    Options
    A rib roast is such a good cut of meat that I don't do too much when cooking it on the egg. I use salt,pepper, and a little garlic powder on the meat and just 1  small piece of apple wood on the fire.  I did a 10 pound one New Years Eve an it came out great.

Always be sure to let your fire burn clean before putting on the meat.
    Large BGE
    Barry, Lancaster, PA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,378
    Options
    No smoke wood for me for all the concerns you address.  I also use Wicked Good lump as it is about the most "smoke neutral" lump I have found.  Let the roast do the "speaking" is my approach.  And the best I have ever done is on the BGE (surprised?) at around 250*F on the dome with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and a small amount of fresh rosemary-no sear.  To each his/her own FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • gte1
    gte1 Posts: 379
    edited January 2013
    Options
    I may give it one more shot. Looking forward to leftovers too. I have used this recipe twice now, and I think it might be better than the dinner itself. http://www.pauladeen.com/index.php/recipes/view2/prime_rib_sandwich_with_caramelized_onions_arugula_and_horseradish_cream/. The only difference is I used my own horseradish sauce (no mayo), and served on French crusty type baguette. These sandwiches are incredible.
    George