Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone’s enjoying the first few days of summer. For us, the weather heating up means one thing - the EGG’s gonna be busy! Whether you’re making stuffed burgers for a backyard grill out, some brats before a baseball game or searing a steak for dinner on the patio, we hope you’re doing it with full flavor and having fun all the while!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

Prime Rib Question

Going to do a prime rib. We had prime rib for Christmas which I did in the oven. Did it at 250 on surround roast then a sear on the egg since it was hot already. They were beautifully browned already so I'm not sure I needed the sear, but did it anyway. I did a prime on the egg in the past and it took on what i felt to be an unpleasant smoke flavor. I did it at 250-275 and dd not use much wood. Did I do something wrong or does a prime pick up lots of smoke flavor easily? Maybe I didn't let the fire go long enough before starting my cook, or maybe a prime in the egg is just not for me. I have been afraid to try again because I hate to ruin a beautiful piece of beef that I know will come out great from my overpriced but very nice Miele oven.
George
·

Comments

• mimaulermimauler Posts: 122
    Last one I did was indirect, plate setter until 120 and then took of for several minutes until egg got up to 500 which I then seared.  I believe that I put on one large chunk of apple.
    ·
  • DMurfDMurf Posts: 481
    On my last Prime Rib cook I used three chunks of Hickory and that was probably about 2.5 more than I needed. The Meat was delicious it just had an undercurrent of the smoke running through it. I will use less next time for my own personal taste.

David
    BBQ since 2010 - Oh my, what I was missing.
    ·
  • ShiffShiff Posts: 1,317
    A rib roast is such a good cut of meat that I don't do too much when cooking it on the egg. I use salt,pepper, and a little garlic powder on the meat and just 1  small piece of apple wood on the fire.  I did a 10 pound one New Years Eve an it came out great.

Always be sure to let your fire burn clean before putting on the meat.
    Barry Lancaster, PA
    ·
  • lousubcaplousubcap Posts: 6,457
    No smoke wood for me for all the concerns you address.  I also use Wicked Good lump as it is about the most "smoke neutral" lump I have found.  Let the roast do the "speaking" is my approach.  And the best I have ever done is on the BGE (surprised?) at around 250*F on the dome with kosher salt, fresh ground pepper and a small amount of fresh rosemary-no sear.  To each his/her own FWIW-
    Louisville
    ·
  • gte1gte1 Posts: 376
    edited January 2013
    I may give it one more shot. Looking forward to leftovers too. I have used this recipe twice now, and I think it might be better than the dinner itself. http://www.pauladeen.com/index.php/recipes/view2/prime_rib_sandwich_with_caramelized_onions_arugula_and_horseradish_cream/. The only difference is I used my own horseradish sauce (no mayo), and served on French crusty type baguette. These sandwiches are incredible.
    George
    ·