Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

OT - sous vide sirloin

CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,584
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
first time doing sirloin, 1.5 - 1.75", light sprinkle of S&P, dried rosemary, no fat before sealing...

in roaster oven bath controlled by DIY PID contraption, 130F for about 1.5 hour, not too much moisture loss...

blotted dry and lightly coated with Cluck & Squeal Beef Specific (good stuff thanks Marc)...

brushed with grape seed oil and seared (a tad too long) on CI pan heated on table top butane stove...

nice medium rare...tender but not fork tender...

also tried searing with small lab torch but didn't get enough heat, meat still coolest inside but nicer colour ...
canuckland
·

Comments

• nice! I have found I can do steak as good just on the egg but chicken and fish and other more delicate meats really shine when done SV

·
  • CanuggheadCanugghead Posts: 4,584
    Thanks,  we also like poached eggs. Haven't tried chicken and fish yet. Tried duck leg confit, but I over salted it :(
    canuckland
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,022
    sweeeeet!

·
  • Thanks,  we also like poached eggs. Haven't tried chicken and fish yet. Tried duck leg confit, but I over salted it :(

The eggs are unreal. Crazy good. Steaks are too but I haven't found the huge SV advantage like I have seen with chicken, fish, and eggs (all poultry actually)

·
    Yup, problem is I'm finding regular boiled eggs hard to swallow!  I suppose our SV steak advantage is not having to egg in the cold as often. Although it's been 'mild' in the GWN this weekend, have a whole 20-lb shoulder in the XL since 9:30pm night, it's been 22 hours and approaching 185F IT; also have two racks of BB ribs in the Large at 3-hour mark. 
    canuckland
    ·
  • Yeah I plan to DIY a SV setup this year.  Was originally going to do it for steaks, but can do those super on egg or even inside.  Will probably go ahead with it if starting to eat more fish (still can't do it perfectly on grill)
    ·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,650
    The only red meat I have really though was much better after the sous vide was flank and skirt steak. I actually think tri tip done in the sous vide comes out worse than just a hot tub and then T rex.
    ·
    @Lit, what about short ribs?
    canuckland
    ·
    @Z_Eggineer, for me just poached egg alone is worth it!
    canuckland
    ·
  • The Cen-Tex SmokerThe Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 12,511
    edited January 2013
    @Lit, what about short ribs?

I did some awesome short ribs for 5 days. Medium rare and fork tender. I still prefer braised though. i think VI had the same experience. It was pretty cool though to see something cooked 5 days and still be med rare. Photobucket Pictures, Images and Photos

·
  • LitLit Posts: 3,650
    I have not tried short ribs yet. People keep mentioning poached eggs I posted a recipe for scrambled eggs not too long ago and they are also really good.
    ·
    @CT, wow five days, was the bag full of juice at the end of the cook? that's what I'm afraid of ... the meat will be tender and dry (is that an oxymoron!)
    canuckland
    ·
  • @CT, wow five days, was the bag full of juice at the end of the cook? that's what I'm afraid of ... the meat will be tender and dry (is that an oxymoron!)

It was not dry by any means.

·
    Thanks, good to know, it's on my to do list.
    canuckland
    ·
  • I see what you are saying Canugghead, but 50+ for some better eggs is still a stretch.

With that being said, I do see value in SV.  I just have lots of gadgets and techniques still to master first.
    ·
  • I'm still on the fence about SV. Will probably get the PolySci unit but don't want to replace egging by searing with a "dumb" torch or skillet. I love the idea of the tasty, moist boneless, skinless chicken breasts via SV but I would want to finish on the egg...just love my egging.
    ·
     but 50+ for some better eggs is still a stretch.
    well, in my case I only spent about $30 'real' money, on used UPS box, thermocouple probe and SSR relay ... the PID controller was a donated surplus
    :))
    canuckland
    ·
  • nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 14,022
    Veal short ribs - insanely good SV.  Don't see them very often, but I'll buy them every time and throw them in the SV bath.

·