Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We’re halfway through National Barbecue Month and loving every minute of it. We hope you’ve had some time to try out some new recipes and enjoy a few old favorites as well. If you’d a couple tips on smoking meat, check out our Smoking Basics Publication. For delicious recipes, try Justin Moore’s BBQ Shrimp, Greg Bate’s BBQ Dr. Pepper Chicken, Bobby Flay’s Chicken Thighs or Dr. BBQ’s new Maple Brined Pork Chops. Need dessert? Finish off your meal with some Planked Twinkies. Have a great rest of May & get ready for some fun summer happenings!

Big Green Egg headquarters has moved - come visit our new showroom and check out the museum and culinary center too! 3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340

First Pizza - A Success

Cooked first pizza tonight. Used Safeway dough, pizza sauce, light sprinkling of cheese and artichoke hearts. Came out great!! (The Egg must be very forgiving) Cooked at 625, not so much by design as that's just where the temperate ended up. Place setter legs up, grate and pizza stone on grate. I used parchment paper; next time ill remove the paper after about two minutes, it pretty much burned up though it didn't seem to cause any problems. It turned out really well. We'll be doing this more!
LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
image.jpg 773.8K
image.jpg 830.7K
·

Comments

• SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,821
    Congrats, even with that unusual triangle kinda shape!
    I trace my stone on the parchment, cut it about 1/2" smaller. Doesn't burn and you can use it to spin the pie before you remove the paper. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    Nice cook.  Never thought to make individual pizza slices - just kidding.  I've made many an amoeba shaped pizza.  It's the taste that counts, not the shape.  Sounds like this was a success.
  • CPARKTXCPARKTX Posts: 1,004
    @tjcoley and @skiddymarker what is the trick to rolling nice round pizzas? I obviously need pointers!
    LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
    ·
  • SkiddymarkerSkiddymarker Posts: 6,821
    I don't roll. Once the dough has gone through a rise in an oiled bowl it is perfectly round. I carefully take it out and onto a floured surface. SWMBO has a PC rolling mat with circles pre drawn. I start in the middle, slow spin as I push to the outside edge. 
    Another technique is to form a lip around the outside, sort of flying saucer shaped. Then only work the inside bump until flat, gives a nice edge. 

The other technique - is practice - as TJ says, we have all made our share of amoebas. 
    Delta B.C. - Vee-Gan: old Indian word for poor hunter. 
    ·
  • AltonAlton Posts: 432
    Looks good, no matter the shape LOL
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE WHO DAT NATION!!!!! Stuck in Dallas.......
    ·
  • TjcoleyTjcoley Posts: 3,422
    edited January 2013
    My first successful round pizza was following the link from @necessaryindulg at the beginning of this post:

@Skiddymarkers second technique above.
  • Dyal_SCDyal_SC Posts: 2,264
    Eggcelent looking pizza!  Nice job!!
    2014 Co-Wing King
    ·
  • Doc_EggertonDoc_Eggerton Posts: 4,302
    Looks great.  Next time try tossing the dough, it is easier than you think.

Pasquali Luciano
    Buon appetito to all the BGE family
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE and lots of toys

·
  • Excellent.  Just got my stone and rig extender and had to give it a try (even though it's 35F outside).  Costco pizza with some veggies thrown on to make it look healthy.  Wife says we're through cooking pizzas in the house.

Pizza.jpg 692K
    ·
  • smokesniffersmokesniffer Posts: 1,718
    Any shaped ZA done on the egg is great. Keep em coming.
    ·