Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bare nekkid eggin'

Options
gabriegger
gabriegger Posts: 682
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
Had a helluva time getting a dead gasket off in December that I've decided to follow some advice here on the forum and not replace it. Bare nekkid cooking with no gasket, no rub. Just veal chops and mashed pataters with gravy. Comfort food for a Canuck who watched too much IIHF Junior Hockey.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

Comments

• Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    Actually I've done that, and I don't have gaskets on my Eggs either.

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• travisstrick
    travisstrick Posts: 5,002
    Options
    No gasket on both my eggs. Nekked is the only way to go.
    Be careful, man! I've got a beverage here.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    When I fried my gasket (I was doing a lot of pizzas) I was able to scrape both top and bottom gaskets off with a putty knife in under 5 minutes; but, as we saw in another thread today, it looks like the Mothership changes gasket material often, and I guess I just got lucky.  
    My current gasket is a copper/silicone gasket material, its ugly but seals and cushions well.  While I'm careful lowering the lid, I'm clumsy and would be scared to drop it without any gasket whatsoever.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• CANMAN1976
    CANMAN1976 Posts: 1,593
    Options
    Just curious if anyone has had there lid slam down on the base with a gust of wind or something without a gasket? Would that crack the base? I think id be too clumsey to go gasketless:)
    Hows ya gettin' on, me ol ****

Kippens.Newfoundland and Labrador. (Canada).
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Just curious if anyone has had there lid slam down on the base with a gust of wind or something without a gasket? Would that crack the base? I think id be too clumsey to go gasketless:)

That is my only thing. You do need to be mindful of no gasket. Cooking is NO problem.
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.