Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chicken help

Options
So I am new to the xl bge. I have good success with ribs etc but I am not completely happy with my chicken results. I have done hundreds of batches of cornell chicken on my 26" weber and it has become a family and friend favorite. I have tried to do this my xl bge and the chicken looks awesome but is missing something.

On the weber I would have a two zone fire and start the chicken over the coals to brown it, then move it over the area with no coals and cook it for the last 45 minutes while basting it every 10 minutes or so. Doing it this way the chicken has a very good flavor and the skin is very crispy like fried chicken. I cook it at 350 to 375 lid temp.

On the egg I start it over the fire direct with the ring in and after browning the skin added the plate setter legs up with a drip pan under the grate. I cooked it at 375 to 400 dome temp. Chicken had decent flavor, but the skin was rubbery. It was also like the chicken didnt absorb the baste.

I also use either pecan or oak wood chips, I will say that the egg seemed to have more smoke flavor. I use kingsford blue bag with the weber and bge lump on the xl. I have attached a picture of the set up and the completed chicken.

I tried to rase the grid to do the whole cook direct with fire bricks, but it would not fit/ was pretty wobbly. Any suggestions would be great. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Just a guess, but based on my "kettle" experience, the egg cooks without losing much moisture. Once you move it to the indirect set-up, the baste is not drying so the skin stays "supple". Don't baste it unless the temp is 50-75 higher.

What are basting with? 

I usually now do all chicken at 425-450 indirect, rub and oil, maybe touch of cornstarch on the skin. Meat is juicy, skin is crisp. 
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I cooked on a Weber Kettle for years.  The only thing I can think of is the basting.  It may have been neccesary to baste on the Weber because without it the chicken dried out.  Cooking on the Egg is a different game altogether.  Try without basting.  Also, I noticed you cook according to time.  Generally people cook on the Egg according to internal temp of your food.  I don't know if that's a factor, it's just a little unusual for cooking on the Egg. 
    Flint, Michigan
  • k_ob1991
    Options
    The baste is actually the flavoring. It is a mixture of eggs, poultry seasoning apple. cider vinegar, oil and salt and pepper.

Good catch on the time....really I just use it as a guide....I wonder if it would be better if just seasoning the parts with poultry seasoning, and maybe sprits with apple cider vinegar once or twice to give it a little flavor....

Skiddymaker.....I think you arenon to something about the bast not drying...that exactly what it seems like.

Fred.. i think it is because of the extra moisture as you pointed out also...by the way..I am a fellow michigander also....live in Brighton area.

Thanks for the help. Should I just do this cook direct but raised? If so do you have any idea why the fire bricks and grate does not fit on the xl? Is there a better way...cheaply right now as I don't want the wife to freak out is I start to buy more stuff...yet...
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Options
    I like chicken cooked raised direct.  Homemade versions I've seen use fire bricks, SS nuts & bolts or empty beer cans.  Too bad using the beer cans will cost you the 30 or 40 cents deposit. 
    Flint, Michigan