Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Bourbon

Options
In previous post talked about utilizing honey and old bay on some salmon. Anyone have experience making a bourbon type glaze with honey or other elements that's good on salmon? I have some makers mark on hand.
- EAT BEEF -

Comments

• Richard Fl
    Richard Fl Posts: 8,297
    Options
    I have done Kahlua and Canadian maple syrup and a little turbindo sugar and it is eggtastic.
  • McStew
    McStew Posts: 965
    Options

From time to time I do this on cedar plank

1 1/2 lbs salmon fillet
    1/2 cup honey
    1/2 cup real maple syrup
    1/2 cup quality bourbon
    2 tablespoons olive oil

Hermosa Beach CA 
  • Griffin
    Griffin Posts: 8,200
    Options
    I don't know if I would waste maker's on a cook (' cept me). I agree with hapster.

Rowlett, Texas

Griffin's Grub or you can find me on Facebook

The Supreme Potentate, Sovereign Commander and Sultan of Wings

• ChanningJohnson
    Options
    I've done a little concoction of butter, brown sugar and bourbon before. It was good. But I'm not sure the bourbon made a significant contribution when the butter and brown sugar are good on their own. Although if you're serving it to guests you can put the smallest splash in the brown sugar and butter just so you can mention it in the name and entice them. It sounds fancy. 

But ultimately I like salmon with just a little salt and pepper. I agree with just drinking the bourbon. 
  • esdd
    esdd Posts: 44
    Options
    Griffin said:
    I don't know if I would waste maker's on a cook (' cept me). I agree with hapster.
    I wouldn't cook with anything I wouldn't drink, this is the same reason I don't use cooking wine.I have a bourbon chicken recipe that turns out the best with Four Roses, and I only use Woodford Reserve for Bourbon balls at Christmas. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @esdd-gotta love your dedication to the bourbon. Your selections definitely elevate the ingredients of the respective cooks.  I will refrain from suggesting any to drink as it may find its way into one of your top-tier recipes-all in good fun. :)>-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Doc_Eggerton
    Doc_Eggerton Posts: 5,321
    Options
    hapster said:
    Your best bet is to use Kosher salt and ground black pepper on the fish... Put the Makers Mark on a few ice cubes.

:)
    +

XXL #82 out of the first 100, XLGE X 2, LBGE (gave this one to daughter 1.0) , MBGE (now in the hands of iloveagoodyoke daughter 2.0) and lots of toys

• Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    edited January 2013
    Options
    @tays44
    I'm not big on honey on salmon, but have used this maple syrup marinade. Make sure marinade is only for 20-30 minutes. 
    3/4-1 c maple syrup (I like it a little less sweet so I use 3/4 c)
    3-4 oz bourbon
    1/4 c soy sauce
    2 Tbs fresh lime juice
    1 Tbs minced ginger root
    2-3 cloves garlic crushed
    1/2 tsp fresh ground black pepper

Serve salmon with lime or lemon slices....

Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • gabriegger
    Options
    @hapster So far your glaze is best.

the city above Toronto - Noodleville wtih 2 Large 1 Mini

• tays44
    tays44 Posts: 93
    Options
    Didnt waste my makers! Did a thin glaze of honey and some old bay. Turned out awesome. Thanks for input everyone.
    - EAT BEEF -
  • Jscott
    Jscott Posts: 174
    Options
    Really interesting thread. Don't know if I'd want to waste any of my Knob Creek on food, rather save it for me on a large ball.
    Tried a 6 yr old Russel Reserve Rye last night and it was really great. Anyone else tried this?