Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
We hope everyone enjoyed their Fourth of July weekend and is excited for more warm weather grilling! This week, we’ll be making these two burgers: Stuffed Portobello Mushroom and Caribbean Chicken, and also eating lots of these Ice Cream Sandwiches in honor of National Ice Cream Month! It's time to think about getting out to one of the many #EGGfests around the country - see a list here

Searing in spider on CI

DawgDaysDawgDays Posts: 83
edited January 2013 in EggHead Forum
So I've found a 13" CI grate (MSRP $40, really?!) for the small in order to sear close to the flames in my LBGE. One question that crossed my mind -- do I need to reseason this grate constantly?

I'm assuming the high temps will just strip seasoning right off and it will rust. Anyone have experience with this technique that can weigh in?

Comments

• I just got an AR with a spider for Christmas and T-rexed some steaks on it a couple of times.  We've been livin' high on the hog this Christmas season!  Anyway, I haven't noticed any rust yet.  I'm anxious to hear what our more seasoned members say.

........................................................................................

Flint, Michigan.  Named the most dangerous city in America by the F.B.I. three years running.

• tjvtjv Posts: 3,228
    What work for me is I leave the CI grid on the spider when I raise my steaks up to finish.  Might throw a small chunk (half the size of my small finger) of mesquite on the CI Grid to generate smoke.  This give the mesquite a better chance to smolder as opposed to sitting right on the lump where it can flame.  

When the steaks come off, I pull the CI Grid, brush and spray the grid with Pam (make sure to spray outside the egg).  Then the CI grid goes on the top grid where I finished the steaks.  This way the CI grid reseasons as the egg cools down.  A rig crossbar is handy for hooking and pulling the CI grid from the spider. 

t

www.ceramicgrillstore.com
    ACGP, Inc.
  • Just as Tom said, pretty much all I do is a quick brush off, and a mop with oil or a spray with pam then let her come down with the egg. Simple as that, I try to do it every cook also.

"Entrepreneurs are simply those who understand that there is little difference between obstacle and opportunity and are able to turn both to their advantage."

• dlk7dlk7 Posts: 974
    You might want to try that 13 inch CI grate directly on the coals and follow Adam Perry Lang's clinching technique from his "Charred and Scruffed" book - awesome taste!!!

Two XL BGEs - So Happy!!!!

Rudderville, TN

• nolaeggheadnolaegghead Posts: 10,867
    The seasoning ashes around 800F.  There's no reason to go over that, but it's tough not to if you're right over the coals (the dome temp has nothing to do with the temp right above the coals).

• R2Egg2QR2Egg2Q Posts: 1,476
    @DawgDays - your assumption is correct if you're negligent on re-seasoning after a good sear. I've been guilty of that and my Small CI has a bunch of rust now and I need to stop being lazy and clean it up, season it good and maintain it properly.
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs
    Bay Area, CA
  • paqmanpaqman Posts: 682
    I used to sear using the spider + small CI grate.  The CI grate looses its seasoning fairly quickly and starts to rust (not a big deal) if you don't oil it after each cook.  I now stopped using it and I sear directly on the coals (caveman style).  You should still get the spider if you plan on wokking.